Glasgow dominate Blues

Glasgow Warriors 22 Cardiff Blues 3

Glasgow Warriors 22 Cardiff Blues 3

Glasgow Warriors inflicted a clinical demolition job on top Welsh title contenders Cardiff in a Magners League clash at Hughenden tonight.

The home side were on a high after clinching their place in the European Challenge Cup quarter-finals, and they kept up the momentum to snuff out the Blues.

Glasgow were the more potent side during the jittery opening exchanges and they broke the deadlock with a superb Colin Gregor penalty.

They pinned back the Blues in their own 22 zone with a series of well-controlled phases, forcing the defence to sneak offside.

Gregor's kick was from wide on the left, but he made it look simple. His glee turned to gloom shortly afterwards, however, when he pushed an easier effort past the near post.

The reprieve sparked Cardiff into life and they tested the home markers with several raids, but they could not turn pressure into precious points. And their frustration was underlined as Nick Macleod was wildly off target with a drop-goal bid from close range.

Having survived the storm, the Warriors came back into the game in the build-up to the interval, but they were unable to add to their account.

They came out all guns blazing after the restart to create an excellent try for hooker Fergus Thomson.

Centre Scott Barrow inflicted the initial damage with a dash through a midfield gap, with Thomson perfectly positioned to take the pop-pass and finish in style. Gregor added the tricky conversion.

The Blues clawed back three points with a Ben Blair penalty when Thomson was guilty of handling in a ruck.

But they were dealt a blow when substitute Mark Lewis was sinbinned just a minute after coming off the bench and it took Glasgow only a matter of seconds to make their numerical advantage count.

Instead of going for goal, Gregor set up a line-out in the corner. Canadian prop Kevin Tkachuk caught the markers off guard by peeling away from the maul to cruise over.

Sam Pinder almost wriggled in for another touchdown, but the ball slipped from his grasp at the last moment.

However, the sub scrum-half made amends five minutes later, Gregor converting to make sure of the win.

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox