Leamy try decisive as Cashel send holders crashing

Cashel dethroned champions Bruff in the opening round of the Munster Senior Cup at Kilballyowen on Saturday.

Last season’s AIL Division 2B kingpins stormed to a 13-6 victory, keeping the Limerick side scoreless for the final 40 minutes.

Cashel started brightly with two penalties from Pat O’Connor before Bruff’s Richie McAuliffe converted a penalty try minutes before half-time.

But the Tipperary outfit refused to buckle and were rewarded with Ed Leamy’s try on the hour to regain the lead. O’Connor’s conversion was the final score of the game as Cashel held out for a deserved victory.

There was no such trouble for last season’s beaten finalists Garryowen, 42-7 winners over Thomond at Dooradoyle.

Winger Cian O’Shea opened the Garryowen account with a third minute try. Despite Thomond physically matching a side three divisions above them for much of the opening 40 minutes, Garryowen struck two blows before half-time, as a Geoff Ryan penalty and an Eamon Coughlan try fired them 15-0 clear at the break.

In the second half, Garryowen’s superior fitness told, and further tries from O’Shea and Coughlan, as well as a touchdown from Conan Doyle and a converted penalty try completed their tally.

Garryowen’s win sets up a quarter-final showdown with Cork Constitution, who demolished Division 1A rivals Dolphin by 37 points.

Five tries, two from Renaud Sergere, and one apiece for Pat Parfery, Paul Perez and Gerry Hurley comfortably saw Con home, as the impressed Rob Penney and Simon Mannix watched on at Temple Hill.

At Tom Clifford Park, Young Munsters eased to a comprehensive six try victory against UCC.

Despite leading 8-3, UCC’s challenge fell apart in the second half, the home side running out 39-3 winners.

Derry O’Connor’s opening try had given Munsters the advantage at half-time, but two quick tries from winger Craig O’Hanlon pushed his side into a 20-3 lead after the break. From there, the home side took control, and further tries from Neville Melbourne, Mark Doyle, and captain Ger Slattery sealed a comfortable win.

UL Bohemian progressed to the quarter-finals, after running out six point winners away to Nenagh Ormond.

In a low scoring first half, Cathal Sheridan’s try gave Bohs an early lead. Tim Rafferty’s conversion left the Limerick side 7-3 ahead, after Dan Fogarty’s penalty got Nenagh off the mark.

Rafferty and Fogarty then began exchanging penalties, as Bohs retained their four point lead (13-9) on the hour. Darren Moroney then sealed the win for the Limerick side, who travel to Musgrave Park in the next round to face Sunday’s Well, who overcame Clonakilty at Musgrave Park.

Old Crescent also made it through to the last eight, after a close fought victory in Cork over Highfield. Two penalties from Shane Mullally, and a Will Hanly left the visitors ahead 11-0 at the break, but they weathered a second half fightback from Highfield to emerge three point victors.

The final opening round match between Midleton and Shannon was postponed on Saturday following the death of former Shannon club president Dr Darragh Little. The winners will play Young Munsters in the quarter-finals.

Elsewhere, Cork Constitution host Garryowen, while Sunday’s Well entertain UL Bohemian. In the final tie the round, Old Crescent travel to face fellow divisional side Cashel.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox

Execution Time: 0.206 s