Paul Carberry could face further charges in connection with a public order incident on a flight from Spain to Dublin, a court heard today.
The 31-year-old allegedly set fire to a friend’s newspaper on an Aer Lingus flight returning from Malaga on October 1.
Carberry made his second appearance in connection with the case at Swords District Court in Dublin this morning.
Garda Noel Donnelly of Dublin Airport police station told the court a file on the incident had been sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).
“I am waiting for further directions. There may be a further charge,” he said.
At the previous hearing two weeks ago, Carberry was charged with engaging in threatening, abusive or insulting behaviour under the Air Navigation and Transport Act, 1973 and 1998.
Judge Patrick Brady said there was only one charge before the court at present and asked Carberry’s defence for their view.
Barrister Amanda Connolly said she was aware the matter was before the DPP and added she consented to an adjournment.
Judge Brady then adjourned the case to November 22.
Carberry, from Rathfeigh, Tara, County Meath, was arrested at Dublin Airport when the plane landed in the afternoon of October 1.
Today he was dressed in a dark suit, pale blue shirt and a navy tie and left the court quickly without making any comment.
After the previous hearing he insisted the incident was not a joke and that there was no drink involved.
Carberry was Irish champion jockey in 2002 and won the Grand National in 1999 aboard Bobbyjo, trained by his father Tommy, himself a former Grand National winner.