Roddick battles through

World number one Andy Roddick survived a tough first-round clash at the Australian Open – but for last year’s finalist Rainer Schuettler it was another day to forget.

World number one Andy Roddick survived a tough first-round clash at the Australian Open – but for last year’s finalist Rainer Schuettler it was another day to forget.

Roddick beat Chile’s Fernando Gonzalez in straight sets but Schuettler, who has not won a match in 2004, surrendered a two-set lead to Swedish teenager Robin Soderling, going down 4-6 4-6 7-5 6-3 6-4 in the Rod Laver Arena.

Schuettler was the surprise finalist last year, beating Roddick in the semi-finals before losing to Andre Agassi, but has been in poor form so far this season.

“I’ve had a pretty tough three weeks now. I started in Doha, Sydney and now here. I didn’t win a match,” said the sixth seed.

“Today I was two sets up and had break point at 5-5. I played the wrong shot. It’s very disappointing of course.

“I had great memories from last year and there was a bit of pressure, but that is not the reason why I didn’t win.“

Soderling will play Nicolas Escude in the second round after the Frenchman beat Hyung Taik-Lee 6-3 7-6 (7/5) 6-2.

Roddick had been wary of Gonzalez, one of the best unseeded players in the draw, and in the past there has been little to choose between them.

After two previous meetings their record stood at one win apiece, both in three tie-breaks.

Today, though, Roddick forced the upper hand in a tight encounter as Gonzalez became increasingly frustrated with some crucial line-calls before going down 6-2 7-5 7-6 (7/4).

“I don’t think it was a good draw for either one of us,” said Roddick.

“I knew I had to play well. I got lucky there in the third set.”

Three-time French Open champion Gustavo Kuerten was pushed the distance, but the Brazilian held on for a dramatic 5-7 6-0 6-1 2-6 8-6 victory over a resilient John van Lottum.

Kuerten, who has never been further than the second round at Melbourne Park, will play Croatian Ivan Ljubicic.

Frenchman Arnaud Clement, seeded 30, also lost a two-set lead, going down to Nikolay Davydenko of Russia 7-6 (8/6) 6-4 4-6 1-6 2-6.

Of the other seeds, Vince Spadea (29) lost in four sets to Thomas Enqvist, Spain’s Tommy Robredo (20) was beaten by Argentine Gaston Gaudio 6-3 6-2 7-6 (8/6) and crowd favourite Younes El Aynaoui (18) was forced to retire.

His participation was always in doubt after he withdrew from the Commonwealth Bank International last week with a foot injury that has caused him concern for some time.

The Moroccan was trailing Gala Blanco of Spain 4-1 when he retired.

American Taylor Dent (27) also benefited from a withdrawal when Fernando Verdasco pulled up when trailing 6-2 6-1 2-1. Dent will meet Juan Ignacio Chela in the second round after the Argentinian overcame Irakli Labadze 6-4 3-6 6-3 6-3.

Carlos Moya, as was widely expected, pulled out of his first round match against James Blake with the ankle injury suffered in the adidas International final against Lleyton Hewitt on Saturday.

“I tried to hit this morning. It was hurting a little bit. Then I came here, I got some treatment, tried again and then I realised that it was not possible for me to play,” he said.

“It has improved so much. Yesterday I couldn’t even walk. Today I was running. I was still in pain and maybe one more day it would have been perfect.”

Thai sensation Paradorn Srichaphan (13) stormed into the second round with a 7-5 6-4 6-0 thumping of Jose Acasuso of Argentina in 94 minutes while Sjeng Schalken (16) beat Kenneth Carlsen of Denmark 7-5 6-3 6-1.

American Robby Ginepri, the 32nd seed, beat Peruvian Luis Horner 7-5 6-3 6-3 and will play Australian 18-year-old Chris Guccione, while American Mardy Fish (21) lost in three tie-breaks to Ivo Karlovic.

The Croatian will face veteran Todd Martin who came from two sets down to beat Frenchman Anthony Dupuis in a marathon encounter 4-6 4-6 7-6 (7/5) 7-6 (7/4) 6-3.

Defending champion Agassi was to open his 2004 campaign against Australian Todd Larkham and Marat Safin was to take on Brian Vahaly in the other men’s evening match.

x

More in this section

Sport

Newsletter

Sign up to our daily sports bulletin, delivered straight to your inbox at 5pm. Subscribers also receive an exclusive email from our sports desk editors every Friday evening looking forward to the weekend's sporting action.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited