Price announces American intentions

Three days after playing a vital role in Europe’s Ryder Cup victory, Phillip Price has announced that he could be playing full-time in America next year.

Three days after playing a vital role in Europe’s Ryder Cup victory, Phillip Price has announced that he could be playing full-time in America next year.

The Welshman, whose win over Phil Mickelson allowed Paul McGinley to hole the winning putt moments later, has entered the US Tour qualifying school.

It is not an easy process for the 35-year-old from Pontypridd, however. Because he has fallen outside the world’s top 100 and did not make the cut in the US PGA championship last month he has to go through three stages, the first of which is in three weeks.

But he says that, if successful, he will be taking his wife and one-year-old son John Edward with him.

“I want to play over there up to the Masters and see how it goes,” said Price today on the eve of the Dunhill Links Championship in Scotland.

“It could be full-time. My coach lives over there and I want to see how good I could become.

“It’s been in my plans since the start of the year. I was slightly wavering because I was playing poorly, but the deadline was two weeks ago and I decided to go for it.

“I might like it or I might hate it. While I don’t have a big family I think it’s the right time to do an experiment.”

More in this section

Sport

Newsletter

Sign up to our daily sports bulletin, delivered straight to your inbox at 5pm. Subscribers also receive an exclusive email from our sports desk editors every Friday evening looking forward to the weekend's sporting action.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited