Cork need extra time to dispatch Kildare

Cork 1-12 Kildare 0-13 (after extra-time)

Cork 1-12 Kildare 0-13 (after extra-time)

Two Kevin Hallissey points put the seal of Cork’s second All-Ireland JFC title in three years as they edged out Kildare in extra-time today.

Kildare led by 0-7 to 0-2 approaching half-time in Thurles, but an Andrew O’Brien goal helped cut the gap to a point for Cork.

The sides were tied on three occasions in the second half, with a Tommy Moolick effort forcing extra-time. But the Rebels got on top again thanks to the accurate shooting of Hallissey (0-5).

Niall Kelleher's side started well with early points from Liam Shorten and Hallissey to take a 0-2 to 0-0 lead after nine minutes, but Kildare soon hit their stride.

The Leinster champions were ahead by the end of the first quarter, thanks to efforts from Tommy Archibold, Ronan Walsh and Darroch Mulhall.

The Lilywhites were in superb scoring form at this stage and the excellent Conor Murphy added four unanswered points between the 16th and 24th minutes to make it 0-7 to 0-2.

Cork needed a timely response, with six minutes left before half-time, and they got it from O'Brien who showed his composure when poking a low shot into the back of the net.

This provided a much-needed boost for the Leesiders and they continued to cause the Kildare defence problems in the closing stages of the half with Andrew O'Sullivan fisting a point.

That reduced the margin to a single point - 0-7 to 1-3 - and Cork could and perhaps should have been in front at the break. They hit nine wides during the opening 30 minutes, with Kildare missing the target just three times.

Ciaran Kelly and Mulhall (0-2) strung together a hat-trick of points to give Kildare the early momentum when the second half got underway.

Cork had to wait eight minutes until Seán Kiely registered their fourth point of the afternoon, and there was the minimum between the sides again after two successful efforts from Hallissey.

As the game ebbed and flowed, Cork seized control again. Shorten split the posts on two successive occasions to leave the scoreline at 1-8 to 0-10, with 48 minutes gone.

A 13-minute scoreless spell for Kildare was ended by captain Kelly, who squared things up for the second time in the half.

Back came Cork with Daniel O'Donovan pointing a free and that was the lead score until Moolick slotted over to set up extra-time at 1-9 to 0-12.

Scores were at a premium in the opening period of extra-time. It was Kildare's Mark Fitzharris who broke the deadlock eight minutes in, with both defences tightening up.

A fourth point from the boot of Shorten levelled the contest for half-time, and Kildare could not muster a score in the second period as two Hallissey points in the closing five minutes got Cork over the finish line.

It was their 16th All-Ireland crown at this grade and leaves Kildare, despite a valiant effort here, still searching for their first junior success.


Cork: Kevin Hallissey 0-5, Liam Shorten 0-4, Andrew O'Brien 1-0, Sean Kiely, Andrew O'Sullivan, Daniel O'Donovan 0-1 each

Kildare: Conor Murphy 0-4, Darroch Mulhall 0-3, Ciaran Kelly 0-2, Tommy Archibold, Tommy Moolick, Ronan Walsh, Mark Fitzharris 0-1.

More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Execution Time: 0.236 s