Seasiders set up Moycullen showdown

The favourite to take over from Alan Mulholland as Galway manager, Kevin Walsh, saw his Micheal Breathnach side crash out of the Galway SFC yesterday as Salthill/Knocknacarra prevailed on a of 3-10 to 0-13 scoreline in atrocious conditions at Moycullen.

Seasiders set up Moycullen showdown

Last year’s beaten county finalists will now face Milltown in the quarter-finals.

Barrai O Conghaile and Seamie Crowe traded early scores while two points from Gary Cox helped the Seasiders to a 0-4 to 0-2 lead.

The important score of the half came moments before the break when Sean Armstrong found Brian Conlon, who rifled his shot into the roof of the net to gave Salthill/Knocknacarra a 1-5 to 0-5 half-time lead.

The Seasiders hammered home their advantage after the break as Crowe found the net for their second. Salthill/Knoknacarra led 2-8 to 0-6 with 15 minutes left, thanks to points from Eoin O’Mahony, Crowe and Armstrong.

However, six points came without reply for Breathnach’s with Peadar Óg Ó Gríofa grabbing three.

The game looked wide open before Barry Kelly put it beyond doubt for Salthill/Knocknacarra with another goal and a further point from Gearoid Armstrong helped them to a six-point win.

Extra-time was required in Corofin as Caherlistrane defeated Tuam Stars 2-12 to 0-15.

Five black cards were issued in normal time, the offenders being Kevin Stankard, John Ross Bodkin and Darragh O’Rourke all for the Stars, while Kevin Nally and Barry McCabe were shown the line for the victors.

Eric Monahan’s goal gave Caherlistrane a 1-3 to 0-2 lead after 15 minutes. John Ross Bodkin kept Tuam in touch and two late points from Gavan Connell and Jamie Murphy brought them back to the minimum at the break, with Caherlistrane leading 1-5 to 0-7.

Cian McNamara pointed after the break to level the game, before Bodkin and Nally both scored prior to their dismissals.

Three points in a row for Tuam, gave them a three-point lead before Oisin O’Brien converted a penalty to bring the sides level for the fourth time in the half.

Then Noel Henry and O’Brien exchanged efforts to bring the game to extra-time, with the teams at 2-8 to 0-14.

A point each from O’Brien and Connell kept the teams level after the first period of extra-time before Monahan and O’Brien helped Caherlistrane to an unlikely victory, against the breeze.

Bearna were far too strong for an NUI Galway side that could only name 16 players in their squad, with the final score 0-13 to 0-4 in Moycullen.

Bearna led by 0-6 to 0-1 at the break as Jason Lyons excelled from the placed ball and he brought this into the second half, where he brought his total to 0-6 as the men from Gaeltacht advance to face Caherlistrane in the quarter-final.

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up