Drom-Broadford maintain winning run

Former London senior footballer Killian Phair marked his Limerick SFC debut with a crucial goal to maintain the unbeaten start of champions Dromcollogher-Broadford.

The Cavan native goaled in the second half to hand the initiative to the holders after they led 0-5 to 0-4 against Mountcollins in Abbeyfeale.

Dromcollogher-Broadford also had three points from Micheal Reidy, while Limerick captain Seanie Buckley was also on the scoresheet as they secured back-to-back group wins.

Another side with a 100% record are St Kierans, who were 2-5 to 2-3 winners over last season’s beaten finalists Newcastle West.

At half-time Newcastle West were 2-0 to 0-3 ahead after goals from Sean Browne and Jamie Lee and they looked well positioned, with the wind to come in the second half.

But a Jack Hartnett goal had St Kierans back in contention and then a Sean McSweeney goal from the penalty spot seized the initiative and propelled them to the win.

The only side other to claim victory in round two were Ballysteen — they were 1-6 to 0-6 winners over Fr Caseys.

A Declan Nash goal helped them to a 1-2 to 0-3 half-time lead. Points from Derry O’Connor reduced the lead in the second half but Danny Neville ensured the win for Ballysteen.

All three other games finished level. Monaleen had to kick the final five points of their game, from Ger Collins and Muiris Gavin, with Pallasgreen to snatch a 0-12 to 2-6 draw.

The former champions trailed 1-6 to 0-2 at half-time after playing against the wind in Caherconlish.

In Hospital, Ballylanders kicked the final two points to finish 0-10 each with Galbally. Backed by the wind, Galbally were 0-6 to 0-2 ahead at half-time with Darren Sheedy, Kieran Hickey and Patrick Murphy on target.

They still led 0-9 to 0-4 after 10 minutes of the second half with two points from Jack Donovan.

But Ballylanders finished strongly with Eoin Walsh and Danny Frewen kicking seven points from play between them.

In Bruff, Adare and St Patricks ended 1-6 each. Gearoid Hegarty had St Patricks into an early lead with a goal but Adare soon settled, with points coming from Robbie Burke. By half-time it was 1-4 to 0-4 to St Patricks.

Midway through the second half they were 1-6 to 0-8 clear. Then Adare hit 1-3 in succession. The goal came from a Willie Griffin penalty but John Mullane and Eoin Hanrahan landed late frees to secure a draw.

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up