Newcestown find new lease of life in extra time

Newcestown 0-13 St Vincent’s 1-8 (aet)

As an at-times bad-tempered game moved past the 60-minute mark in normal time, Vincent’s sub Kyle Lynch kicked a booming free which looked to have put last year’s Premier IFC champions into the last 16, but as is so often the case, Newcestown persevered.

The influential Hugh Curran kicked a super equaliser with the final kick, and then in the additional 20 minutes they were the stronger side.

Martin O’Brien, Eoin Kelly and Daniel Twomey were all on target before half-time, rendering Daniel Duggan’s late response for Vincent’s a mere consolation.

It was the kind of win that Newcestown have eked out so often, but while manager Jim O’Sullivan was pleased with the result, he felt that it could have been achieved in a better fashion. “It was always going to be tough, but we made it hard for ourselves. They played with more intensity in the 60 minutes and we were lucky to get the draw.” he said.

“We’re better footballers than what we showed today. We’re in round four though and that’s the main thing.”

Central players came good for Newcestown when it mattered. While Fionn Keane was excellent throughout in midfield, having a momentous tussle with Vincent’s player-manager Stephen Ray, in the first half they were wasteful, time and again.

As the game wore on, though, Curran provided some spark and Seánie Ryan’s running at the city side’s defence created openings while Eoin Kelly was setting the tempo from centre-back.

With Vincent’s labouring in the second half with the game there to be won, it was Kelly who set up Tadhg Twomey to cut the gap to a point, 1-6 to 0-8, and then Ryan allowed sub Cathrach Keane to tie before Lynch and Curran traded points.

In the first half, Vincent’s had attacked with more purpose, Cian Barry’s punched goal in the 11th minute putting them 1-0 to 0-2 ahead. With a solid defence applying plenty of pressure, Newcestown were rushed into inaccurate shots, and when the Carbery side did force goal attempts they were repelled. Goalkeeper Patrick O’Shea saved well from Tadhg Twomey and centre-back Kevin Goulding got in a great block on the same player in first-half injury time.

There was still time for Daniel Twomey to point before half-time, however — Vincent’s were unhappy at four minutes being added — and that brought Newcestown to within a goal, 1-4 to 0-4. They began the second half brightly too, with Tadhg Twomey and Mark Kelly cutting the gap to a point.

The introductions of Lynch and Jonathan Buckley looked to have settled Vincent’s again, but they were now suffering from the same malaise in front of goal that Newcestown had, and they could not put the game to bed.

Ray’s sending-off for a second yellow — there were 15 bookings in all — just before the end of normal time meant that they missed his presence in midfield in extra time. Though Cathrach Keane also got his marching orders for two cautions, in the 74th minute, Newcestown made light of the disadvantage in personnel and saw things through. Vincent’s now play either Douglas or Ballincollig, who meet tonight, in the second round.

Scorers for Newcestown: D Twomey 0-3 (0-2 frees), T Twomey 0-2, E Kelly, H Curran, C O’Neill, M Kelly, S Ryan, M O’Brien, C Keane, J Desmond (free) 0-1 each.

Scorers for St Vincent’s: C Barry 1-1, K Lynch 0-2 (0-1 free), D O’Connor, A Harte, A Buckley (free), J Buckley (free), D Duggan 0-1 each.

NEWCESTOWN: C White; J Curran, J Crowley, J Desmond; C Twomey, E Kelly, M McSweeney; F Keane, H Curran; C O’Neill, D Twomey, D Heffernan; S Ryan, T Twomey, M Kelly.

Subs: R Bradfield for J Curran (28), M O’Brien for Heffernan (42), C Keane for M Kelly (49), M Kelly for O’Neill (79).

ST VINCENT’S: P O’Shea; D O’Regan, F Murphy, W Murphy; C Kenneally, K Goulding, T O’Connell; S Ray, S Buckley; D Duggan, D O’Connor, A Harte; C Barry, A Buckley, G Kelleher.

Subs: J Buckley for Duggan, K Lynch for Barry (both 44), W Long for A Buckley (52), Duggan for S Buckley (59), S Buckley on as 15th player (start of extra time), D Collins for F Murphy (66), A O’Callaghan for O’Connell (half-time in extra time), D Lockyer for O’Connor (78).

Referee: D Murnane (Macroom).

More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Visit our brain gym where you will find simple and cryptic crosswords, sudoku puzzles and much more. Updated at midnight every day. PS ... We would love to hear your feedback on the section right HERE.


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Visit our brain gym where you will find simple and cryptic crosswords, sudoku puzzles and much more. Updated at midnight every day. PS ... We would love to hear your feedback on the section right HERE.