Cill Na Martra storm back to shock Éire Óg

BATTLE-HARDENED Cill Na Martra stormed back from the brink of defeat to shatter Éire Óg’s hopes on a 2-10 to 1-11 scoreline in the quarter-final of the Evening Echo Cork County IFC at Carrigadrohid on Saturday.

Leading by six points after a most promising first-half, newcomers Éire Óg looked destined to advance to the semi-final at the first time of asking, but two snap goals from full-forward Pádraig O hAodha launched Cill Na Martra on the road to victory.

Looking very sprightly early on, wind-assisted Eire Óg, with full forward Daniel Goulding a major presence, looked a far superior force.

Cill Na Martra, with some fine accurate long-distance points, managed to stay in touch but with Éire Óg leading by 0-5 to 0-4 after the first quarter, Goulding put daylight between the sides in the 21st minute when shooting a goal from close-range.

This proved inspirational for Eire Óg and with Goulding and left half-forward Dermot O’Herlihy kicking some magnificent points the Muskerry side turned over leading by 1-8 to 0-5.

When Cill Na Martra kicked three wides in the opening five minutes of the second-half and O’Herlihy stretched Óg’s lead to seven points, the die looked well and truly cast for the Gaeltacht side.

But then out of the blue O hAodha exploded into action and his two crucial goals in the space of three minutes levelled matters and brought Cill Na Martra thundering back into contention.

It was all to play for now with the last quarter dawning and with Nollaig O Laoire doing a tremendous marking job on Cork colleague Goulding the tide began to turn.

Although Goulding edged Éire Óg back in front with a point from a free in the 43rd minute it was obvious Cill Na Martra were a growing force and Eire Óg, with Goulding out of the picture, running out of steam.

Splendid right half forward Mairtín O Conchuir, who kicked six points, four from frees, tied the game for the second time with a free in the 45th minute.

Cill Na Martra pounced to take the lead for the first time with a controversial point from full-back Colm O Laoire. The ball appeared to have gone wide but the umpires deemed otherwise and after that stroke of fortune there was no stopping Cill Na Martra.

O Conchuir, with a point from a free and another from play in the closing stages, pushed Cill Na Martra to safe pastures and Eire Óg’s only response was a pointed free from Goulding in the last minute of normal time.

What a turn around.

Scorers for Cill Na Martra: P. O hAodha 2-0; M. O’Conchuir 0-6 (0-4 from frees); S. O Ceilleachair, P. O’ Duinnin, C. MacSuihne and C. O Laoire 0-1 each.

Éire Óg: D. Goulding 1-6 (0-3 from frees); D. O’Herlihy 0-2; K. Hallisey 0-2; J. Dineen 0-1.

CILL NA MARTRA: P. O Conchuir; M. O’Goilli, C. O’Laoire, G. O’ Mochain; D. O Conaill, N. O Laoire, S. O Ceilleachair; C. Mac Suibhne, C. O Mochain; D. O Laoire, B. O’ Loingsigh, M. O’Conchuir; C. O’Suilleabhain, P. O’ hAodha, P. O’Duinnin.

Subs: S. O’ Loingsigh for O Goilli; D. O Buachalla for O Conaill.

ÉIRE ÓG: P C. Hallisey; T. Coveney, S. McCarthy, T. Dineen; C. Lowney, B. Corkery, C. O’Mahony; A. O’Mahony, D. Keane; A. O’Connor, J. Crowley, D. O’Herlihy; K. Hallisey, D. Goulding, J. Dineen.

Substitute: L. Murphy for Crowley.

Referee: E. Sheehy (Newcestown).

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up