Molden’s goal decisive as Glanmire stand firm

THEY may have had to endure six agonising minutes of injury-time in the face of ferocious Nemo Rangers pressure, but Glanmire stood tall in the Páirc Uí Rinn sunshine yesterday.

Brendan O’Callaghan’s 66th minute point finally killed off the city challenge, so booking the Riverstown side a place in the Evening Echo Cork Co Premier IFC final against St. Vincent’s next weekend.

No question Glanmire were deserving winners of this semi-final replay, with Daniel Molden’s 52nd minute goal having a big say in that. But, leading by two points going into injury-time, they were pushed to the limit by a Nemo side that battled to the finish. They had to watch Joe Kavanagh fire an easy free chance wide, Liam O’Sullivan having a goal chance blocked down, but in the end Glanmire had the bottle and know-how to stand firm in a contest that was close throughout.

Their relief was palpable, and Glanmire selector Brian Lotty was a happy camper afterwards. “I have to admit we struggled for scores today, Daniel’s goal was absolutely vital. But I can’t say enough about our defence. We have yet to concede a goal in the championship, that’s down to that steely bunch. Our aim this season was to win the championship, we have prepared really hard for it. Let’s hope we can finish the job now next week.”

And a terrific rearguard they formed, Darren Kenneally, Paul Hanley, Ray Ryan and Fergal O’Reilly continually keeping the Nemo machine at bay. And with big Michael Cussen spraying some great ball around from midfield, Nemo made little impact goal wise.

It only took Nemo 30 seconds to show their magic, David Kearney firing over a cracking point. But they flattered to deceive afterwards in the face of determined Glanmire play. James Murphy, with the first of his five first-half frees, tied up the scores in the third minute and with Nemo unusually sloppy in defence, conceding far too many frees, Glanmire were up for it.

With Hanley and Ryan superb and Cussen delivering some great ball down the flanks, it was 0-3 to 0-1 to Glanmire after the opening quarter thanks to the boot of Murphy. Indeed it took Nemo 16 minutes to get their second point, from John Paul O’Neill. But then followed the point of the match from Cork hurler Kieran Murphy, a cracker from the left wing.

Nemo were under pressure, but some strong play from full-back Steve Twomey and Brian O’Regan, allied to the switch of Kavanagh to centre-forward, gave them a new impetus.

Michael Kearney got their third point in the 19th minute but the accurate boot of Murphy ensured Glanmire led at the break, 0-6 to 0-4.

Glanmire had a couple of real chances to stretch their lead after the break but James Murphy and Molden were off target. And it was Nemo, thanks to pointed frees from Kavanagh and Liam O’Sullivan, who took the initiative and trailed by just a point, 0-7 to 0-6, after the third quarter, after Glanmire were denied a goal by a super Twomey block on Molden.

And it got even better for Nemo in the 50th minute when Kavanagh picked out David Kearney who fired over a fine point to level the match. Advantage Nemo now and, with Mick Daly now at centre-back and O’Regan marauding on the wing, they looked to be getting into their stride.

But then came the killer goal in the 52nd minute, when Paudie Meaney put James Murphy away down the right. His cross looked good for substitute Barry Kirby to put away, but where he failed Molden succeeded by firing the ball wide of Brian Morgan.

Trailing 1-7 to 0-7, Nemo threw everything at Glanmire. Peter Morgan reduced the deficit, but some glaring misses from Michael Kearney and Kavanagh proved costly and in those final tense injury-time minutes O’Callaghan delivered the final blow. Glanmire were in the final.

Scorers: Glanmire: J. Murphy 0-6 (frees), D. Molden 1-0, K. Murphy, B. O’Callaghan 0-1 each. Nemo Rangers: D. Kearney and J. Kavanagh (frees) 0-2 each, J. P. O’Neill, M. Kearney, L. O’Sullivan (free), P. Morgan 0-1 each.

GLANMIRE: M. Byrne; D. Kenneally, P. Hanley, C. Mulvihill; D. O’Connell, R. Ryan, F. O’Reilly; M. Cussen, D. O’Connell; K. Mulvihill, K. Murphy, B. O’Callaghan; P. Meaney, D. Molden, J. Murphy.

Subs: B. Kirby for Declan O’Connell, Declan O’Connell for K. Mulvihill, S. Knowles for Don O’Connell.

NEMO RANGERS: B. Morgan; L. McCarthy, S. Twomey, I. Gibbons; M. Daly, B. O’Regan, C. O’Brien; L. O’Sullivan, P. Morgan; P. O’Shea, J.P. O’Neill, E. Weldon; D. Kearney, J. Kavanagh, M. Kearney.

Subs: M. Dorgan for Weldon, C. Allen for O’Shea, S. McKeown for Gibbons, P. Hogan for O’Neill.

Referee: K. Kelleher (Carrigadrohid).

More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Visit our brain gym where you will find simple and cryptic crosswords, sudoku puzzles and much more. Updated at midnight every day. PS ... We would love to hear your feedback on the section right HERE.


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Visit our brain gym where you will find simple and cryptic crosswords, sudoku puzzles and much more. Updated at midnight every day. PS ... We would love to hear your feedback on the section right HERE.