Back-in-the-game sports retailers Elverys are continuing to hit the ground running, with a second Cork store off the busy ring road just acquired, hot on the heels of its just-opened city centre presence on Oliver Plunkett Street.
The re-born Irish sports equipment retailer, with roots back to 1847 and which now is linked to global €10bn a year turnover giant Intersport, has just acquired a large premises at the Kinsale Road Commerical Park, home to occupants as diverse as the HSE, a large gym, McGuirks Golf, Smyths Toys and The Edge Sports Superstore.
Coincidentally, Elverys Sports is going out to the pivotal Kinsale Road Commercial Park where The Edge Sports has been since 2007 in units 37 and 38.
Last year The Edge also moved into a second Cork city centre store, on Parnell Place, around the corner from Oliver Plunkett Street where Elverys opened last month in the former Maher Sports property.
Elverys ‘Elephant House’, with the familiar logo of Bert the elephant, was a familiar presence on Cork city’s Patrick Street for much of the 1900s, but closed in the 1970s.
And, for those with elephantine memories, the then-titled JW Elverys large shop on Dublin’s Sackville Street (now O’Connell Street) was caught in Easter Rising crossfire in 1916, and today the company’s history blog carries a picture of a cricket bat which had been in the shop window with a stray bullet lodged in it - very much a clash of cultures.
Now, 100 year after that event, Elverys is firing on all cylinders itself, set to add to the sports and fitness mix at the Kinsale Road roundabout commercial park, with up to 70 other traders spanning retail warehousing, household goods and furniture and services, which providesfor over 500 jobs, on c 12 acres of redeveloped former industrial buildings.
Along the N40 South Ring road and tucked in by the Kinsale Road roundabout, and flyover, the park (originally the carpet factory Kincora,) has grown over the last 30 years, and now is integrated into the South Ring Business Park.
Lettings are handled by F&V Sheahan Auctioneers and Remax, and amongst the latest deals are the arrival of golf superstore McGuirks Golf, into Unit 34, vacated by Yankee Candles.
Due now is Elverys into the c 7,000 sq ft Unit 35, previously occupied by high-end furniture and bedding outlet Top Drawer, who relocated several years ago to Fota Business Park, next to Meadows and Byrne.
Coming soon to the Kinsale Road Commercial Park is expanding Elverys, and this brings its store tally to date to over 55, and it has over 700 employees at present.
Elverys started in 1847 with a single shop in Dublin city centre, and is Ireland’s oldest sports retailer.
It was taken over in the 1990s by the Mayo company Staunton Sports, and has grown steadily nationwide with string of shops, is currently refitting a number of those and is backed up by a web store.
It’s also linked for the past 20 years to the international Intersport brand giving it, it notes, both grass-roots and global reach, and is rebranding its Irish stores as Elverys Intersport.
Among its sports involvement are sponsorship of the VHI Women’s Mini Marathon, Connemara Marathon and Galway Bay running races, as wall as Mayo and Tipperary GAA races.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved