Curraglass, East Cork €279,000
Sq m 254 (2,733 sq ft)
N IVY-covered period residence with two acres of grounds and its own stream, Vine Park House at Curraglass in East Cork occupies lands which were once owned by Sir Walter Raleigh.
This fact was discovered by the current owner when he researched the history of the property.
He also found that the title for his land goes back to 1633 when the Earl of Cork, Richard Boyle leased lands in the area for a term of 4,960 years to a number of families including the Crokers.
The owners of a large estate in Curraglass the Crokers built nearby Lisnabrin House in the 18th Century — and in 1802 they constructed Vine Park House for a younger son.
The family planted vines, added a second wing in 1859 and in 1901 brought in a garden architect to develop the site.
Subsequent owners have included Irish artist, Desmond Turner who converted a coach house into a studio.
The vendor purchased the property 13 years ago and carried out major refurbishments and modernisation.
When he bought it, the house had storage heating and didn’t have a foundation, just oak flooring sitting on wooden joists above the ground.
Renovations involved pouring a concrete foundation and putting in insulation which brought the energy rating up to a C1, which is very high for a property of this age.
The house was fitted with double glazed windows, oil fired central heating and the owner also put in three en suites, a new bathroom and kitchen units .
He added a conservatory bringing living space to over 2,700 sq ft and employed a local stonemason to build a new fireplace using some of the stones from the stream
Original features which remain include high ceilings, a marble fireplace, ceiling beams and timber paneled ceilings.
The house has two timber floored reception rooms at the front — one a spacious drawing room with a marble fireplace and bookcases, the other a lounge with a stone fireplace.
To the rear there’s a tiled conservatory and a kitchen with country style timber units, marble counter tops, integrated appliances and an Aga stove.
There are a number of smaller rooms including a study which used to be the library, a pantry and a guest WC.
The first floor has a bathroom and five carpet-floored bedrooms including three with en suites.
The master bedroom is a spacious 16’ square and has fitted wardrobes and two front facing windows and another at the side.
Outside there are extensive lawns bounded by mature trees, hedging, fencing and old stone walls.
A good-sized stream runs through the gardens at the front where an old stone archway makes an interesting feature.
This arch was possibly put in during the garden redesign in 1900, most likely as an entrance to a formal garden which has long since returned to lawn. To the rear there are a selection of stone outbuildings including the converted coach house.
With an address at Curraglass, Conna, Vine Park House is located close to the county bounds, three kilometres from Tallow in West Waterford and five from the East Cork village of Conna. The distance to Dungarvan is 35 kilometres while Cork city is a little over 40km.
Sherry FitzGerald Reynolds in Dungarvan are guiding the property at €279,000. They say this is fine period house with good space and a two acre site.
Auctioneer Cormac Curran says a lot of work has been done on it and that the energy rating is exceptionally good for a 19th century residence.
Open viewings started at the end of May and it has attracted quite a bit of interest.
“We’ve had enquiries and viewings from local families, and from people living in other parts of the country and in the UK who want to return to live in the area. Many of them have been familiar with Vine Park House since their childhood.”
A rural residence with character, history and tranquil gardens.