According to a book written in 1967 by Fr J.J Meehan about the local patriot Bishop Doyle (JKL) who was born in New Ross, the Bishop and the Duke of Wellington had some close encounters.
In an amusing account recounted in Meehan’s book, a Cathal O’Dwyer, an Irish member of the Westminster parliament, recalls how JKL was summoned to be examined at the House of Lords on matters concerning Ireland in March 1825 by peers.
One of the peers attending the hearing was The Duke of Wellington. The Duke left the hearing to attend to state papers. A fellow peer meet the Duke as he left the hearing and asked had the duke been examining Dr. Doyle?
“No” remarked the Duke “Dr. Doyle is examining the committee” and continued suggesting that the House of Lords committee of examiners had met their Waterloo in Dr. Doyle.
Wellington built Erindale House on the outskirts of the town on the banks of the Barrow for his local mistress, with whom he fathered a daughter. The bridge over the river Barrow in Carlow town, known locally as Graigue or Graiguecullen Bridge, was formerly known as Wellington Bridge and the junction on the approach to the bridge on the Carlow side of the river Barrow, now called Governey Square, was previously called Wellington Square.