The committee at that time consisted of Mrs Allman of Rathlea, Mrs Robert Gregg of Patrick’s Place, Mrs Mahony of Druncora, Miss Ledlie of Endsleigh, Mrs Conron, of Montenotte House and Mrs Lynch of Mount Verdon.
This Cork institution followed the example of the Dublin outlet which had been modelled on the London facility.
The first Cork premises were opened at No. 5, Drawbridge Street at 1pm on 17 March 1888. That first day’s menu consisted of Irish stew and bread and about 200 dinners were served.
By the following year the charity was providing up to 800 dinners each week from outlets at Hanover Street and Blarney Street.
In the years that have elapsed, the Penny Dinners establishment has continued to provide a warm welcome and a hot meal to its customers, and it is heartening to read of its continuing success.