Court awaits psychological report on girl charged in connection with death of Scarlett Faulkner

The girl’s solicitor told the court: 'I’ve been in contact with two psychologists and I will be speaking to a third.'
Court awaits psychological report on girl charged in connection with death of Scarlett Faulkner

Scarlett Faulkner died from her injuries on April 13 after her life support was turned off at CUH on April 12.

A judge’s order, for a girl to be psychologically assessed after she was charged in connection with the fatal assault of Scarlett Faulkner, has yet to be carried out seven weeks after the order was made, a court heard this Friday.

The 16-year-old accused is charged with assault causing serious harm to Ms Faulkner, aged 29, at the R494 Birdhill, Co Tipperary, on March 21 last.

Judge Marie Keane said at Nenagh District Court on Friday that she made an order on April 1 that a psychological assessment be carried out in respect of the accused girl.

The accused girl appeared today before Nenagh District Court via a video-link, accompanied by “care staff” at a youth detention centre.

Sergeant Adrian Whelan, Nenagh Garda Station, said a Garda investigation file in respect to the girl’s alleged involvement in the assault on Ms Faulkner had been “forwarded” to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).

An application by Sergeant Whelan for a four-week adjournment, consented to by the girl’s solicitor John Herbert, Herbert & Co Solicitors, Limerick, was granted by Judge Keane.

Mr Herbert told Judge Keane the psychological assessment on the accused girl was “still awaited”. Mr Herbert assured the judge he was making enquiries through a number of psychologists to arrange the psychological evaluation on the girl.

“I’ve been in contact with two psychologists and I will be speaking to a third,” Mr Herbert told the court. Judge Keane replied that, in her view, it has “always” been “exceptionally slow” to arrange and process psychological assessment reports for the courts.

The accused girl spoke only to confirm her name and that she could hear and see the proceedings. A co-accused 40-year-old woman, also appeared before the court on Friday.

The woman, who is charged with violent disorder, endangerment and burglary, appeared before Judge Keane via a video-link from a remand prison.

The judge granted a similar application by Sergeant Whelan and consented to by the woman’s solicitor Pauric Nesbitt, Darach McCarthy & Co Solicitors, Limerick, for a four-week adjournment.

Judge Keane remanded the accused girl and accused woman in continuing custody to appear before Nenagh District Court again on June 12 for directions from the DPP.

Members of Ms Faulkner’s family sat in Nenagh court and watched the proceedings this Friday. Neither accused can be named because of reporting restrictions imposed by Limerick District Court where the two accused were initially charged last March.

Gardaí alleged during bail hearings last March that the accused girl struck Scarlett Faulkner’s head with an iron bar at least 11 times.

Gardaí also alleged that the girl laughed when they showed her a photograph of Ms Faulkner’s injuries after the alleged attack.

x

More in this section

Lunchtime News

Newsletter

Get a lunch briefing straight to your inbox at noon daily. Also be the first to know with our occasional Breaking News emails.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited