One of the teens killed in M9 crash was in the care of Tusla

One of the vehicles at the scene of the crash on the M9 northbound at Junction 3 in Co Kildare last Sunday. Five teenagers in one car lost their lives while members of a family whose car they crashed into suffered serious injuries. Picture: Niall Carson/PA

One of the vehicles at the scene of the crash on the M9 northbound at Junction 3 in Co Kildare last Sunday. Five teenagers in one car lost their lives while members of a family whose car they crashed into suffered serious injuries. Picture: Niall Carson/PA

One of the five teenagers killed in the horror M9 crash on Sunday was in the care of Tusla before his death and two more of the teenagers were known to the agency.

Tusla has now referred the three teenagers' deaths to the National Review Panel (NRP) for investigation.

The death of any child known to Tusla must be referred for investigation by the NRP.

One of the teenagers, Jack Kennedy, 17, originally from Athy, was in the care of Tusla and had been in a number of care places before his death, the Irish Times reports. 

Another two of the teenagers were known to the agency.

Jack Kennedy, Jeremy O’Brien, 18, his cousin Alex McCarthy, 17, from Carlow; Joey Carthy, 15, from Athy, Co Kildare; and Kamil Pustkowski, 17, from Limerick were all killed when the BMW they were in was driven the wrong way down the M9 motorway on Sunday morning. 

Their BMW smashed into a Hyundai in which a family of three sisters and a seven year old boy were travelling. 

The head-on collision took place after 3am, near Moone, Co Kildare.

Teens' BMW smashed into a family's car

Sisters Alma Kinsella, Niamh Kinsella, Ella Hendricken, and a seven-year-old boy were all hospitalised with serious injuries. 

They had been travelling to Dublin Airport to travel to a family wedding in the UK.

Tusla confirmed on Thursday that one of the young people involved in the serious incident on the M9 on Sunday morning was in the care of Tusla and two of the young people were known to the agency.

“Our staff have been in contact with their families and there is ongoing liaison with An Garda Síochána,” a statement issued to the Irish Examiner said.

A GoFundMe page has been launched to help support three sisters, Alma Kinsella, Niamh Kinsella, and Ella Hendricken, who were injured alongside a seven year old boy in the recent M9 crash.
A GoFundMe page has been launched to help support three sisters, Alma Kinsella, Niamh Kinsella, and Ella Hendricken, who were injured alongside a seven year old boy in the recent M9 crash.

“When a death of a child known to Tusla, or in State care occurs, it is critical that there is an objective review of Tusla’s engagement with the family, and those of other State services where relevant," a statement from Tusla said.

"This is completed by the National Review Panel (NRP). 

"Tusla will share all information required with the NRP, in line with standard reporting processes.

“Our thoughts are with all of those who have been affected by this tragic incident. 

"We are mindful of the very challenging and sensitive circumstances surrounding this incident and it is a very traumatic time for individuals, for families, for staff and for wider communities.

The teenagers who died in the M9 Kildare crash, L-R: Alex McCarthy, Joey Carthy, Kamil Pustkowski, Jack Kennedy, and Jeremy O'Brien. 
The teenagers who died in the M9 Kildare crash, L-R: Alex McCarthy, Joey Carthy, Kamil Pustkowski, Jack Kennedy, and Jeremy O'Brien. 

“We continue to work with [Children and Young People’s Services Committees] CYPSCs and partner organisations to ensure that the appropriate supports are available to all those affected, including families, local communities and others impacted by the tragedy."

x

More in this section

Lunchtime News

Newsletter

Get a lunch briefing straight to your inbox at noon daily. Also be the first to know with our occasional Breaking News emails.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited