The Midland Regional Hospital in Portlaoise has apologised to the family of an eight-year-old Brazilian boy who tragically died from an infection 18 hours after he was discharged from their care.
Richard de Souza from Athy, Co Kildare, was brought to the hospital by his parents in February 2011 with chickenpox and a swelling under his left arm.
He had a high temperature, pulse and heart rate. He was prescribed an antibiotic and sent home where he died the following morning from toxic shock syndrome as a result of a streptococcal infection.
His father Ralmon was almost hysterical and had to be hospitalised, leaving his pregnant wife Flavia to attend their son's funeral alone.
The High Court has approved a payment of €160,000 to Richard's parents, who sued for wrongful death and nervous shock.
Their solicitor Ann Nolan spoke outside court.
"This has been a very troubling and difficult time for the de Souza family," she said.
"Flavia and Ramon still have concerns with regard to the treatment of their son Richard, then aged eight, received at Portlaoise Hospital in 2011.
"The settlement of the case today, and indeed the apology read out, has gone somewhere to putting closure to this case.
"But they believe that had Richard received the proper care, he would still be alive today."