Girl to face Circuit Court trial over alleged bottle assault
The DPP has recommended that a 17-year-old girl, who allegedly smashed a glass bottle over a man's head, should face trial before a Circuit Court judge and jury.
The girl, who is in care and has admitted to having a drug problem, has been charged at the Dublin Children's Court with two counts of robbery, attempted robbery and assault causing harm, which allegedly happened in central Dublin's O'Connell Street area on August 3, 5 and 9 last.
Judge Bryan Smyth was told today that the DPP had recommended that the girl should not be tried in the juvenile court but instead at the Circuit Court, which has wider sentencing powers.
Defence solicitor Gareth Noble said he intended to make submissions under section 75 of the Children Act for the girl's case to be kept in the juvenile court.
This part of the legislation sets out grounds where the court can retain jurisdiction for a case involving serious allegations, by taking into consideration the age and level of maturity of a juvenile defendant - a person under the age of 18.
Judge Smyth remanded the teen, who was accompanied to her case by her mother, on continuing bail to appear again next month when the defence will make its representations.
Garda James King had said earlier that the girl was “out of control” and during the alleged attempted robbery of a woman she “threatened her to hand over her mobile phone or she would knife her.”
He had agreed that a weapon was not produced during the incident and when the girl was arrested in the vicinity she was not found in possession of a knife.
He had also said that a male was left needing stitches after the girl allegedly struck him to his head with a glass bottle.
The court had also heard earlier that the HSE had provided her with a placement in a high support care unit but she refused to take it and had been residing in out of hours hostel accommodation.
The teen had been refused bail last in August at the Dublin Children's Court where a garda said she was still regarded as a “threat.”
However she was subsequently granted High Court bail on condition she resided with an adult sister in north Dublin.



