McCartneys take murder fight to Europe

The family of murdered Belfast man Robert McCartney are taking their campaign for justice to the heart of Europe today.

The family of murdered Belfast man Robert McCartney are taking their campaign for justice to the heart of Europe today.

They are travelling to Brussels to meet key figures in the European Parliament.

Their visit, which includes speaking to the different political groupings, will culminate in a meeting with the president of the European Parliament, Joseph Borrell.

Mr McCartney, a 33-year-old father of two, was stabbed to death after a pub brawl in Belfast city centre on January 30.

Catherine McCartney, one of his five sisters, said they would be highlighting the difficulties they were having in persuading witnesses to the murder to come forward to give evidence.

“We want to find out what Europe can do in terms of practical support for our campaign. We are very frustrated that still no one in the bar has come forward to the police or the Ombudsman directly with any evidence,” she said.

Meanwhile, a 31-year-old man questioned by detectives in connection with the murder was last night released without charge.

He was arrested after presenting himself at a Belfast police station with his solicitor.

The McCartney family have blamed IRA members for the murder and for subsequent intimidation of witnesses.

The republican group later expelled three of its members allegedly involved in the fatal attack, while Sinn Fein suspended seven of its members.

Police investigating the incident have quizzed a total of 12 men but so far no-one has been charged with the murder.

More in this section

War of Independence Podcast

A special four-part series hosted by Mick Clifford

Available on
www.irishexaminer.com/podcasts

Commemorating 100 years since the War of Independence

Discover the

Install our free app today

Available on

HOME DELIVERY SERVICE

Have the Irish Examiner delivered to your door. No delivery charge. Just pay the cover price.