Minister in plea to wipe out poverty
Far more work must be done to wipe poverty and social exclusion from Irish society, a senior minister said today.
Social Affairs Minister Seamus Brennan said the Government had made strong advances to reduce the burdens facing the less well-off.
Mr Brennan admitted the buoyant economy had ensured the income of people dependent on social welfare had simply not kept pace despite substantial increases in welfare supports.
“The gap between those in employment those on social welfare is getting wider,” he said.
“Poverty doesn’t just go away you need to tackle it.
“The key to keeping pace with such increases in income for those of working age is employment, especially for families with children,” the TD said, as he launched the first annual report on the implementation of the National Action Plan against poverty and social exclusion.
The report from the office for Social Inclusion shows welfare rates have increased substantially since 1994, however, in the same 10 year period incomes in general rose substantially.
Mr Brennan claimed the Government was on track to meet the 2007 target of €200 per week for social welfare pension rates.
The number of people deemed at risk of poverty has increased over the last few years.
Almost 16% of the population was thought to be at risk in 1994 but this increased to almost 22% by 2001.
Mr Brennan said the Department of Social Affairs would be spending over €12bn next year on actions outlined to eradicate poverty in the National Action Plan.
The plan outlines measures to help vulnerable workers including adjusting the National Minimum Wage to €7 an hour from February 1 next.
He said substantial progress had been made to fulfil Ireland’s pledge in Lisbon in 2000 “to make a decisive impact on the eradication of poverty” by 2010.
Mr Brennan said that a new website www.socialinclusion.ie would outline the ways funds were spent tackling the problem.



