Inquest: Mum and child stabbed 72 times in 2013

A mother and her daughter murdered in Kerry in 2013 were stabbed at least 72 times between them, an inquest into their deaths has heard.

Inquest: Mum and child stabbed 72 times in 2013

Jolanta Lubiene, aged 27, and her daughter Enrika Lubyte, aged 8, whose bodies were found dead in their rented home at 9 Langford Downs, Killorglin, on June 17, 2013, had been due to return to Lithuania for good later that summer.

Lithuanian national Aurimas Andruska is serving two concurrent life sentences for the murders on a date between June 15 and 17, 2013.

An appeal by him to overturn his convictions was unsuccessful.

Ms Lubiene’s sister, Kristina Kuleviciene, said the inquests into the deaths of her sister and niece had brought finality for the family.

Asked if her opinion of the man convicted of their murder had changed, she said: “He is still a monster.”

The husband and father of the deceased, Marius Lubys, described his daughter as “the best little girl”.

Marius Lubys, in front, husband of Jolanta Lubiene, arriving at Killarney Courthouse yesterday for the inquest into their deaths in Killorglin 2013. Picture: Don MacMonagle
Marius Lubys, in front, husband of Jolanta Lubiene, arriving at Killarney Courthouse yesterday for the inquest into their deaths in Killorglin 2013. Picture: Don MacMonagle

Ms Lubiene and Enrika were found by Jolanta’s friend Ramute Narmute, who raised the alarm.

Ms Lubiene had received at least 61 stab wounds to the thorax, abdomen, neck, arms, legs and back in a “sustained and violent sharp weapon attack”.

Dr Margot Bolster’s autopsy of Enrika revealed she had received 11 stab wounds and some superficial wounds.

Both died from haemorrhage and shock due to multiple stab wounds.

Ms Narmute told the inquest she became concerned when Jolanta had not returned any of her texts or calls.

When she called to the house on Sunday evening, she could see Jolanta’s body lying on the kitchen floor and she could hear her dog barking.

She said she knew she was dead because the colour had drained from her face and she was white.

“I could see the blood on the stairs and the body on the floor of the kitchen.

“I thought it was a man at first but then I saw the black hair and I knew it was Jolanta,” she said.

She and her husband reported what she had seen at the garda station.

Gda Eamon Prenderville told the inquest he entered the house through the back door, which was unlocked.

The other doors were locked and the curtains of the front bay window were shut. He saw a woman’s body on the kitchen floor.

He said there was a lot of blood staining in the utility room, the kitchen, the hallway and the railway station.

He began to cordon off the scene but later, when he returned to the Garda station, he learned Ms Lubiene had a young daughter.

When he returned to Langford Downs, he found Enrika lying on her left-hand side on the landing.

Joan O’Neill, who worked with Jolanta in the kitchen of St Joseph’s Nursing Home, was the last to see her alive.

She gave her a lift into town when they finished work at 1.30pm on Saturday.

She told the inquest when Jolanta had not turned up for work on Sunday morning, which was unusual, she told Sr Elizabeth Farrell.

Neighbour Mark O’Sullivan was the last to see Enrika alive, cycling on her bicycle on the estate at 9.30am on Saturday.

The deposition of Det Insp Fearghall Patwell, read out by Supt Flor Murphy, said AurimasMothr Andruska was identified through a profile of his DNA that was found on Enrika’s top.

A fingerprint in Ms Lubiene’s blood found on the wall of the stairs, matched a sample given voluntarily by him to gardaí.

He was convicted of the double murder in November 2014, following a five-week trial.

The jury at the inquests into the deaths of Ms Lubiene and Enrika returned a verdict of unlawful killing.

The verdict also recorded their deaths on June 16, 2013.

Addressing the family following the inquest, Supt Murphy said he hoped it brought them “solace and comfort” that an appeal by Mr Andruska on his conviction had been rejected at the Court of Criminal Appeal this year.

Coroner Terence Casey paid tribute to the gardaí on their investigation that brought the perpetrator to justice in such a short time.

“The people of Killorglin, Kerry and Ireland are very thankful to you for the work you do,” he said.

More in this section

Puzzles logo

Puzzles hub

Visit our brain gym where you will find simple and cryptic crosswords, sudoku puzzles and much more. Updated at midnight every day. PS ... We would love to hear your feedback on the section right HERE.