Missing Cork man’s body found in slurry pit

The dead man found in a slurry pit in Cork on Thursday has been identified as 31-year-old Diarmuid Twomey, who had been missing since before Christmas.

Missing Cork man’s body found in slurry pit

A postmortem was carried out at Cork University Hospital yesterday, and initial indications are that Mr Twomey had drowned.

His body was discovered on a farm in Rahaniskey, Whitechurch, north of Cork city shortly before 5pm on Thursday.

Cork City Fire Brigade personnel, wearing breathing apparatus and biohazard suits, worked for two hours under artificial lights on Thursday to recover the body.

The discovery brings to an end the large-scale search for the father-of-two who had been missing since he failed to return home to Carrignavar after a family party on December 20 last.

He had attended his nephew’s 18th birthday party in Bishopstown with his partner Ciara Byrne on the Saturday night of the weekend he went missing.

They had returned to a relative’s house in the Gurranabraher area later.

Ms Byrne, who decided to go home earlier than Mr Twomey, got a taxi on the road near Na Piarsaigh GAA club in Fairhill at 2.50am on the Sunday morning.

Mr Twomey, who had not been feeling well, said he would follow on later but had not been seen since. His mobile phone was found shortly after he went missing, in an adjacent farmyard near the slurry pit where the body was eventually discovered.

Search dogs had traced his scent through fields to a minor road, but were unable to follow the trail any further. Following a public appeal, a taxi driver said he saw a man matching Mr Twomey’s description outside Whitechurch at around 4.20am, hours after he had last been seen.

Ms Byrne had previously revealed she and Mr Twomey’s family had already given up hope of finding him alive, and she had already told their four-year-old daughter her father had “gone to heaven”.

It is the second family bereavement suffered by the Twomey family in recent weeks. Mr Twomey’s mother Anne passed away following an illness on January 6, while the massive search for her son had been continuing.

Friends of the deceased posted their condolences on a Facebook page established to co-ordinate local search efforts to find Mr Twomey.

“Who would have thought that a night of celebration was going to bring this tragic set of circumstances to befall the Twomey family,” read one message.

The extensive searches which also included air support, had continued daily including Christmas Day.

Hundreds of people including gardaí, coastguard air and ground units, missing persons associations, and local volunteers had participated in the garda- coordinated searches.

More in this section

War of Independence Podcast

A special four-part series hosted by Mick Clifford

Available on

Commemorating 100 years since the War of Independence

Home Delivery


Have the Irish Examiner delivered to your door. No delivery charge. Just pay the cover price.