She said people need to be aware of the dangers so that others don’t have to go through what her family is enduring.
Her 18-year-old brother was still in a critical condition in Cork University Hospital last night after collapsing at a house party on the south side of Cork City in the early hours of Tuesday.
In a Facebook post to Gerard Banks, who was first on the scene, the young woman said: “Thank you Gerard for saving my brother’s life! Without you he would have been pronounced dead at the scene.
“He’s still very critical — all we can do is hope. But thank you. You are a hero. Me and my family just can’t thank you enough.”
She declined to comment further.
Doctors, public health experts, and gardaí believe that people attending the party in a house at St Patrick’s Terrace on Green St, near Pouladuff Rd, ingested 2C-B — a highly potent and potentially deadly psychoactive drug.
Described as mix between LSD and ecstasy, it is similar to products previously sold in headshops. It’s believed to be a relatively new arrival on the streets of Cork.
The 18-year-old was among six people aged between 18 and 37 who were rushed to CUH after emergency services were alerted round 4am.
Mr Banks, who was passing the rented house with a friend at the time, yesterday described the horrific scenes which confronted him.
He told Neil Prendeville on Cork’s RedFM that they heard crazed shouting and looked into the house and saw blood on the walls, carpet, and even curtains.
“We shouted in to see is everyone OK. A man arrived at the window clearly on drugs and in a state of shock,” he said.
“We asked is everyone OK. He replied: ‘Yes, everything is fine’.
“So we said there is blood everywhere, someone must be hurt, can we check to make sure no one is hurt.
“He said yes and opened the door. When we went in it was like a scene from CSI — blood all over the walls, floors, couches, and a man and a woman naked covered in blood shouting and screaming, badly hurt and clearly in a state.
“The man was smashing the house up, blood was everywhere. The house was destroyed.
“There was a man on the floor with major breathing problems and the man who let us in was sitting on the chair in shock.
“Me and my friend took control of the room. My friend started helping the man on the floor.
“It was surreal...a naked man and woman dancing on the chairs as a man was having cardiac arrest on the floor.
“I was the man who left the guards and paramedics into the house.
“Whatever drugs those people were on was scary,” he added.