VIDEO: One dead after family fishing trip tragedy

An investigation has been launched after a man in his 70s died after the boat he was on with a fishing party capsized, leaving 10 people in the sea for five hours.

VIDEO: One dead after family fishing trip tragedy

The 73-year-old from Salisbury in England, was visiting in-laws in Ferns, Co Wexford, and was among a group who went fishing on Saturday, when a wave swamped their boat near the Saltee Islands. The party included seven other men, a woman and a teenage boy, all of whom survived.

All 10 were taken from the sea by the Saltee Islands passenger ferry An Crossan, which was being crewed by three local RNLI volunteers.

After the alarm was raised at about 11.30pm on Saturday, the lifeboat from Kilmore was making its way towards Ballyteigue and the Coningmore Rocks when they got a radio call from the ferry that an upturned hull had been spotted and the anglers were in the water half a mile south of the Great Saltee Islands.

All were taken on board within an hour with the elderly man transferred to a lifeboat before being airlifted to Waterford University Hospital in a critical condition. He died this morning.

Aidan Bates, Kilmore Quay RNLI, said: “Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved in this incident and we would like to wish them all a speedy recovery from their ordeal.

“The party had done the right thing in letting someone know when they were due back and thankfully, as a result of that, the alarm was able to be raised.”

Pictured in Kilmore Quay at the RNLI Ops Room were the RNLI crew who participated in the search and rescue operation last night. Pictured are Capt. Peter Ferguson, Aidan Bates, Sam Nunn, Joe Maddock, Peadar Raftery and Eugene Kehoe (Coxswain). Picture: Patrick Browne

The alarm was raised by someone who knew the party had set out on a fishing trip from Kilmore Quay at 4pm on Saturday and had been due back before sunset.

Weather conditions at the time were overcast and there was a force 2-3 south westerly wind blowing, the RNLI said. Everyone on the boat is understood to have been wearing lifejackets.

It is understood the group could be heard in the water shouting after the ferry’s lights went out briefly during the search and rescue.

Several of them were suffering from shock and were treated for the effects of hypothermia.

More in this section

War of Independence Podcast

A special four-part series hosted by Mick Clifford

New episodes available each Tuesday during December

Available on

Commemorating 100 years since the War of Independence