Cork stabbing accused remanded in custody

A man who has been charged with a knife attack on his partner which left her with 14 wounds has been remanded in custody until his next court appearance on September 3.

Cork stabbing accused remanded in custody

Patrick O’Rourke, a 62-year-old with an address at 38, Cooline Drive, Ballyvaloon, in Cobh, Co Cork, was brought before Clonakilty District Court yesterday.

He had previously appeared in the same court a week ago, when he had been remanded in custody with consent to bail.

He is charged with causing assault causing harm at his home address to Donna Foster, contrary to Section 3 of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act, on August 11.

Judge Timothy Lucey heard yesterday from Garda Insp Gerry Lacey that Mr O’Rourke, who was in court, had been unable to provide a verifiable alternative address that would have allowed him to leave custody on bail.

Mr O’Rourke’s solicitor, Emmet Boyle, confirmed that his client was not in a position to meet that requirement for bail.

Insp Lacey told the sitting of Clonakilty District Court that the “sticking point” was that any alternative address at which Mr O’Rourke could stay should not be in Cobh.

Mr Boyle told the court that, in the event of a suitable address becoming available, he would inform gardaí in Cobh and that his client would provide a bond.

The court also heard there have been no directions in the case from the DPP.

Judge Lucey remanded Mr O’Rourke with consent to bail until a sitting of Midleton District Court on September 3 for DPP direction.

When Mr O’Rourke previously appeared in court, on August 13, Detective Garda Michael Dillane told Judge Lucey that he arrested Mr Rourke at 10.57am the previous Tuesday, had charged him at 5.45pm on Wednesday, and that Mr O’Rourke made no reply to the charge.

At last week’s sitting Insp Lacey accepted that Mr O’Rourke, a taxi driver, had no previous convictions or bench warrants, but that gardaí objected to bail and wanted him remanded in custody due to the seriousness of the charge and amid concerns that there may be interference with witnesses.

The court had also heard that the injured woman was at that stage in a serious but stable condition in Cork University Hospital and had suffered 14 separate wounds which had necessitated one major operation, with the possibility of others.

More in this section