Three brothers remanded over attack on woman, 72

Three brothers have been remanded in custody after they were charged with attacking a 72-year-old woman as she made her way home from Saturday evening mass.

Three brothers remanded over attack on woman, 72

Andrew Smith, aged 30, from Croftwood Drive, Ballyfermot, Dublin, along with Paul Smith, aged 47, and Stephen Smith, aged 39, who both live at the same address on Oranmore Rd in Ballyfermot, appeared at Dublin District Court yesterday.

The three are charged with assault causing harm to Jennifer Lynch, a great-grandmother who also lives at Oranmore Rd.

Stephen Smith, who suffered wounds in a shooting last month, was in court on crutches and, amid outbursts, showed the judge bandaging on his stomach.

Garda Padraig O’Meara told Judge Michael Coghlan the three brothers were arrested on Saturday night. Andrew and Stephen Smith had no reply after they were charged.

However, older sibling Paul, responded: “A load of bollocks.”

Garda O’Meara said he intended to “strenuously” object to bail. He alleged the case involved, “three grown men who attacked a 72-year-old woman, who was walking home with some friends from 6.30pm mass”.

He said the woman was taken to Ballyfermot garda station and was “bleeding profusely”.

She declined medical attention until after she told gardaí what happened, Judge Coghlan heard. Garda O’Meara also alleged Ms Lynch identified the three defendants and knew them all their lives. Garda O’Meara said there were fears that there would be interference with witnesses.

Ms Lynch, witnesses and the defendants reside near each other, Garda O’Meara said, adding that the 72-year-old woman had come to court to give evidence.

She remained in the public gallery with relatives and was not called to testify as an adjournment was granted.

Defence lawyers were given instructions to consent to a remand in custody until March 16 when the three men will make a bail application.

Stephen Smith then pulled up his jumper to show his bandages and his solicitor explained that the 39-year-old recently been the victim of a “serious shooting”.

Judge Coghlan directed that he would receive medical attention in custody.

More in this section

War of Independence Podcast

A special four-part series hosted by Mick Clifford

Available on
www.irishexaminer.com/podcasts

Commemorating 100 years since the War of Independence

Discover the

Install our free app today

Available on

HOME DELIVERY SERVICE

Have the Irish Examiner delivered to your door. No delivery charge. Just pay the cover price.