Donohoe ‘won’t intervene’ in looming rail strike

Transport Minister Paschal Donohoe has signalled he will not intervene in looming rail strikes timed to coincide with major GAA events.

Donohoe ‘won’t intervene’ in looming rail strike

With industrial action at Irish Rail set to go ahead on the weekends of the All-Ireland football and hurling finals, Mr Donohoe insisted cost-cutting measures were needed to ensure the company’s future.

Rail workers are set to begin a 48-hour strike on August 24 — the day of the first All Ireland football semi-final; and then on the days of the GAA All Ireland finals on September 7 and 21, according to the National Bus And Railworkers’ Union. Mr Donohoe claimed the viability of Irish Rail was now at stake as the company had lost €17m last year.

Rail workers are resisting Labour Court recommendations to cut costs, which include a 5% wage cut for some staff.

The transport minister said that the rail workers should accept pay cuts like other public sector employees.

Mr Donohoe said the Labour Court had branded the cost-cutting measures in Iarnród Éireann “unavoidable”. “I absolutely appreciate how difficult it is to ask workers in any company at all to vote to cut their own pay. But these are measures that have been implemented across the rest of our civil and public service. I will campaign very strongly for funding needed to grow services and deliver infrastructure. I am not going to find money somewhere to offset plans already implemented across the civil and public service. The longer the strikes go on, the worst this will be for the viability,” he told RTÉ.

The minister indicated it was down to the two sides to sort out a solution so that the “iconic” sporting events were not hit.

“That is the subject at the moment of ongoing discussion between management within Irish Rail and unions. There is absolutely nothing whatsoever to relish in this situation.

“Everybody has played a part in this. Everybody needs to come together to do all possible to make sure these savings are delivered,” Mr Donohoe said.

The rail union has made it clear that it will not bow to pressure to call off the strikes.

Mr Donohoe insisted change was needed as Irish Rail had lost €147m in recent years and needed to get a grip on its deficit.

x

More in this section

Lunchtime News

Newsletter

Get a lunch briefing straight to your inbox at noon daily. Also be the first to know with our occasional Breaking News emails.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited