Jordan Buckley, 19, from Kells Road, Crumlin, was charged last week with unlawfully possessing a sword, contrary to Section 9.1 of the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act, in connection with the incident on April 29.
The jobless youth was granted bail and told by Dublin District Court to stay away from all Government buildings and departments, “save the Department of Social Welfare”.
Yesterday Garda Dwayne Conlon asked for an eight-week adjournment saying a file is to be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP). Defence solicitor Paul Hannon consented to the garda’s request and Judge Michael Walsh ordered the youth to appear again on July 2 next.
Officers from Pearse St Garda Station had arrested him on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon, on April 29 at about 4.30pm, after he reached the front plinth, in the yard of Leinster House.
A his first court hearing, on April 30, the court had been told that the teenager made “no reply after caution”.
Gda Conlon had said the youth was caught “red handed” in the front yard of Leinster House, there were several eye-witnesses as well as CCTV evidence.
Defence solicitor Paul Hannon has said the youth had no history of criminality and there was no evidence of him having any drink or drug issues. Mr Hannon also said his client did not have one particular person in mind as a target during the incident.
As a condition of bail, the youth, who has not yet entered a plea, has to sign on at his local Garda station three times a week, be of sober habits and stay away from all Government departments or buildings save for the dole office.
The directions from the DPP are needed to decide whether the case should stay in the District Court or go to the Circuit Court which has tougher sentencing powers, including a maximum five-year term for the charge brought against the accused .