Man makes no reply as he is charged with the murder of his partner’s son

A 43-year-old man made no reply when he was charged with the murder of his partner Audrey Fitzpatrick’s son, Dean, who died following a stabbing incident last year, a court has heard.

Man makes no reply as he is charged with the murder of his partner’s son

Dean Fitzpatrick, a 23-year-old father of one, was found at an apartment at Burnell Square, Northern Cross on the Malahide Rd, Dublin, and was rushed to Beaumont Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Dean, originally from Donaghmede in Dublin, was the brother of missing teenager Amy Fitzpatrick, who vanished in Spain six years ago.

Dave Mahon, a former estate agent from Dublin who has been living in Spain with partner Audrey Fitzpatrick, was remanded in custody yesterday.

Shortly after Dean’s death, Mr Mahon had been questioned by gardaí but was released as a file on the investigation was prepared for the DPP.

He flew back to Dublin last week and yesterday, after presenting himself at Coolock Garda Station, he was formally charged with the murder of his partner’s son.

Dressed in a grey pinstriped suit and walking with the aid of a cane, he entered the packed courtroom where he was greeted by the judge. He sat down and waved to Audrey, who is reportedly in need of a life-saving liver transplant, as she watched the proceedings from the public gallery.

He then listened silently as Detective Garda Brendan Meares told Judge Cormac Dunne that he met Mr Mahon by appointment at 9.26am at Coolock Garda Station yesterday.

He said the 43-year-old, of the Crescent, Ongar Village, Clonsilla, was “handed a true copy of the charge and made no reply after caution”.

Det Garda Meares agreed with Michael Staines, defending, that Mr Mahon met him by arrangement and that he had already been interviewed last year. After he was released, he had also kept in contact with gardaí and the detective agreed with Mr Staines that “when you required him to come back, he came back, and met you today”.

Due to the nature of the charge, the issue of bail can only be considered in the High Court, and Judge Dunne remanded Mr Mahon in custody.

He has not yet formally indicated how he will plead and will face his next hearing at Cloverhill District Court on April 2.

Free legal aid was granted after the judge heard that Mr Mahon “is on disability”.

In the days after Dean’s death, a dispute broke out between his father Christopher and his mother Audrey on where their son would be buried.

The High Court held that Dean’s body should be released to his partner Sarah O’Rourke, the mother of his then 18-month-old son Leon.

Audrey’s daughter Amy was 15 when she vanished on the night of January 1, 2008. She had left a friend’s house on the Costa del Sol to walk to her own home less than 2km away but did not arrive.

Ms Fitzpatrick and Mr Mahon have continued an appeal, including a reward, for information leading to the discovery of Amy.

More in this section