Accident by hospital but ambulance late arriving

An inquest has heard that it took 17 minutes for an ambulance to arrive at the scene of an accident even though the deceased, a 75-year-old pedestrian, had been knocked down 200m from an ambulance station.

Accident by hospital but ambulance late arriving

The inquest into the death of Maureen Kane was told the HSE had initially said that it took 45 minutes for an ambulance to respond, but later corrected this to 17 minutes after it emerged there was a problem with the button paramedics must press in the ambulance when they arrive at a call.

Yesterday at the inquest, paramedic Jackie Connolly said that when she pressed the ‘on scene’ button in the ambulance — which sends a message to the ambulance service that a crew has arrived at its call — it wasn’t working and “rather than waste time on it”, she went to treat the patient.

Louth county coroner Ronan Maguire said he had asked the paramedic to give evidence because it had been in the media that there was an alleged delay of 45 minutes.

Ms Connolly said her crew was on duty in the Ardee area when they got the call to attend the accident on Scarlett St, Drogheda. On arrival, “I pressed the ‘at scene’ button but it didn’t work or engage,” she told the coroner’s court.

Ms Kane, from Bredin St, Drogheda, was still alive on arrival at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Ms Connolly said.

Mr Maguire told the family of the deceased that the HSE had said it took 17 minutes for the ambulance to arrive and this revised an earlier statement of 45 minutes.

In reply to Mr Maguire, the paramedic said the accident happened “very close” to the Lourdes hospital.

She told him the ambulance station in Drogheda is behind the Cottage Hospital which “is 200m from where the accident occurred”.

She said: “We were the closest available ambulance so I suspect the Drogheda ambulances were busy with patients or called on somewhere else in the county.”

The inquest heard Ms Kane was crossing the road when she was struck by a car around 5.20pm on Jan 16, 2012. She was pronounced dead in the hospital at 6pm.

The motorist, Helen Segrave, was driving at between 28km/h and 34km/h when “very suddenly,” there was a flash of colour and “it was like she dropped from the sky”.

The court heard Ms Kane was crossing the road but had not come out from behind a parked car.

The autopsy found Ms Kane died from multiple injuries and tests indicated she had a blood alcohol level of 92mg.

A verdict of accidental death was returned by the jury. Ms Kane’s family did not want to comment afterwards.

More in this section