Young mother ‘left to die’ after party assault

A woman was “left to die” by party-goers at her house after she was badly beaten in an argument with another woman.

Charges may be brought today against a woman arrested in relation to the death of Brigid Bernadette Cash, 20.

Ms Cash, a mother of a two-year-old boy and a member of the Travelling community, suffered fatal head injuries in an assault at her home in west Dublin in the early hours of Thursday. The attack happened during a party at a house in Warrenstown Walk in Blanchardstown.

It is thought the arrested woman accused Ms Cash of having an affair with her boyfriend and a violent altercation ensued.

Gardaí believe there were around 10 people in the house during the party, which started at around 5pm on Wednesday and continued well into Thursday morning.

“The victim was assaulted by one of them, a woman. It seems to have been a bit of a rolling battle,” said a Garda source. “There were others there at the time who left. She was essentially left to die.”

Two men concerned for Ms Cash’s welfare called to the house sometime after 10.15am on Thursday and sought the assistance of a neighbour who rang the emergency services.

When paramedics arrived, Ms Cash was dead.

Gardaí arrived shortly afterwards and sealed off the area.

Detectives tried to establish the identity of people who were at the party and, within hours moved, on a number of people, arresting a woman and questioning three others who agreed to be interviewed voluntarily.

Ms Cash is married but is separated from her husband, who was not at the party.

It is thought that their son was not in the house at the time of the assault.

Gardaí were last night in consultation to the Director of Public Prosecutions to determine whether charges should be brought against the woman in custody. If charges are not brought, a file will be sent to the DPP at a later stage.

Ms Cash’s family members gathered at her mother’s house in nearby Mulhuddart yesterday.

Her mother, also Brigid, said her daughter had been assaulted a number of weeks ago as well.

Further arrests may take place during the course of the investigation.

Meanwhile, in a separate investigation in west Dublin, gardaí are investigating the death of a retired garda, who was assaulted last Saturday week.

Seamus Marren, 57, was assaulted by someone he knew at his home in Clonsilla. He was admitted to hospital and was discharged on Sunday.

He fell unconscious on Thursday and was again taken to hospital, where he died of a blood clot.

An autopsy was conducted yesterday to determine the cause of his death.

Gardaí suspect that the clot was a direct result of the head injuries he sustained in the assault, in which a baseball bat is suspected to have been used.

The assault did not come to light to gardaí at the time and it only emerged following his death.

“We are waiting on the PM to establish whether the blow caused the death, was the clot the direct result of the blow,” said a Garda source. “That will determine the course of the investigation.”

More in this section