Student grants: Quinn gets legal advice

Education Minister Ruairi Quinn is seeking legal advice on whether councils can delay or withhold grants from students whose parents have not paid the household charge, but he still thinks it is reasonable for them to ask.

Clare County Council changed its position after the controversy arose on Tuesday and said it would not be using the information it received from students to prioritise or delay payment of grants. It had been indicating that students whose families had not paid the charge would face delays as others would be paid first.

South Tipperary Co Council had been planning to ask grant applicants for evidence the €100 charge was paid. But it said on Tuesday night that after getting advice, it had changed those plans.

You have reached your article limit. Already a subscriber? Sign in

Unlimited access starts here.

Try from only €0.25 a day.

Cancel anytime

More in this section

Lunchtime News

Newsletter

Get a lunch briefing straight to your inbox at noon daily. Also be the first to know with our occasional Breaking News emails.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited