Tesco said the sale of carbon monoxide detectors surged by 150% in the last few days.
Reports from Woodies also found that the detectors were selling out in some stores.
The use of such detectors has increased since the tragic circumstances in Kinsale, where it is believed 35-year-old Miriam Reidy died of carbon monoxide poisoning. Following on from the tragedy, homeowners were urged to get their gas systems inspected regularly.
A carbon monoxide detector costs between €20 and €50 and are available at most department stores in Ireland.
They give a visual and audible warning if there is a build-up of dangerous levels of the deadly gas.
According to gas experts, it must be remembered that CO alarms are no substitute for regular inspection and maintenance of appliances, vents, flues and chimneys.
Laws requiring carbon monoxide detectors be installed in all homes have been passed in America, Britain and Northern Ireland but not in Ireland.
This situation needs to be urgently addressed, according to John Walsh, director of CO Detector Company, which specialises in providing and installing carbon monoxide, radon and gas detectors. He said there is a significant lack of knowledge about carbon monoxide among the general public in Ireland.
Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, poisonous gas.
There is a dedicated carbon monoxide website at www.carbonmonoxide.ie or an information line can be contacted on 1850 797979.