The inquest into the death of infant Johnny McCarthy was adjourned, for the third time yesterday, at Drogheda Coroners Court.
The infant was pronounced dead on January 8 last year in Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda.
He had been brought there from a house in Lusk, Co Dublin, a short time earlier.
Until then he had been living with his parents in Navan.
The coroner for Louth, Ronan Maguire adjourned the opening of the inquest in September to enable one of the parents to attend.
Yesterday, he was told by Detective Inspector Gus Keane, Balbriggan, that the parents were both still living in England.
The inspector said the mother was in hospital and the father “cannot make it”.
Mr Maguire asked the gardaí to notify the parents that he was “anxious” to open the inquest and noted that once people are outside the jurisdiction there was nothing he could do to make them attend.
The death was treated as murder and a full murder investigation was conducted by gardaí from Balbriggan.
As part of the investigation, eight people were arrested, some on suspicion of withholding information.
Earlier this year, a file was sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions by the gardaí. The DPP, however, decided not to instigate a prosecution.