Murdered man attempted to intervene in couple’s row

A man who died after a violent attack in Dublin had intervened in a row between a couple. Patrick Farrell, from Dunne Street on the north-side of the city, was kicked and stabbed to death. It is believed a barbecue fork was used in the attack.

The 38 year-old became involved in a violent row with another man on Ballybough Road at around 11.30pm on Wednesday. Gardaí believe the fight followed another row between a man and a woman. Det Insp Christy Mangan of Fitzgibbon Street Station said they believe a sharp instrument was used in the attack.

“The deceased received a number of stab wounds and injuries to his head. It looks like it was a row involving a female.” He said a sharp instrument was used, but he didn’t know exactly what it was and it had not yet been found.

Gardaí also suspect the man was repeatedly kicked in the head after he fell to the ground. Mr Farrell was brought to the nearby Mater Hospital, but he died shortly after midnight.

Mr Farrell’s widowed mother, Angela, was being comforted yesterday by her two other sons Eamon and Gerard. Mr Farrell’s girlfriend, also from the locality, was said to be devastated.

“They can’t believe it. They are a very respectable family. Angela is a total lady. The whole community is in shock,” said a friend of the family.

Officers from Fitzgibbon Street Station were yesterday searching for the man and woman involved in the attack.

“This is a terrible shock to the community and an awful tragedy for the family just before Christmas,” said local councillor Christy Burke at the scene yesterday.

Cllr Burke, who nearly lost his own son Patrick in a stabbing attack two years’ ago, called for action to be taken to regulate the sale of knives and to introduce more severe sentences for people carrying or using them.

Det Insp Mangan appealed to pedestrians on Ballybough Road, and to motorists who may have seen what happened, to contact the station at: 1800 218 219.

More in this section