ITV was criticised today after punk rocker John Lydon used the “c”-word during a live broadcast of I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here.
Presenter Dec Donnely was forced to apologise live on air after the former Sex Pistol let rip with expletives when he learnt viewers had voted for him to stay in the jungle for at least another day.
“F****** c****,” Lydon said.
The 47-year-old has spent the last week working on his bad-boy image, refusing to pose for photographs at the start of the show and bad-mouthing busty model Jordan.
Dec said: “We are very sorry for that. It’s a live show. We are incredibly sorry.”
A spokeswoman for ITV1 said: “It was a live broadcast so it was unpreventable, but we apologise for any offence caused.
“It is a hazard of live shows and obviously we ask people not to swear or say anything appropriate.
“It is not something we can control.”
The spokeswoman said it was too early to say whether the programme would consider imposing a delay on transmission to avoid broadcasting such outbursts.
John Milton-Whatmore, chairman of Mediawatch-UK, the country’s leading broadcasting standards watchdog, said he was not surprised at the outburst by Lydon, also known as Johnny Rotten.
“It was only a matter of time before one of the incumbents of the present series went off the rails and Rotten is in there for this sort of purpose,” he said.
“A lot of people will be upset by it.
“I also think it is a sad time really, when a major television company has to resort to bad language and questionable activity to entertain our homes. I think it is counter productive. People will eventually switch off.”
In 1976, Lydon let rip with a tirade of expletives during a now notorious interview between the Sex Pistols and television presenter Bill Grundy.
Grundy, who had been struggling to contain the punks, goaded them to “say something
outrageous”. The Sex Pistols duly obliged, calling him a “dirty f*****”, and inspiring the classic newspaper headline: “The Filth and the Fury”.
Former Olympic athlete Diane Modahl became the second celebrity to pack her bags and leave the jungle camp last night.
The 37-year-old, who now works as a PR, picked Jordan to do the next bushtucker trial, entitled Splash and Grab, after she watched footage of the glamour model calling her “two-faced”.
She told presenters Ant and Dec: “She said she wouldn’t mind doing another trial and she called me two-faced.
“I’m surprised she said that. I have said to her you are a really ambitious person. Sometimes that can make you selfish.
“I wouldn’t say I have said that behind her back. I have said that to her.”
She picked Johnny as winner of the survival contest saying: “I’d like Johnny to stay in there and win. Johnny’s a great guy.”
Diane, whose cousin is former boxer Chris Eubank, said the wildlife was the most surprising thing about jungle life.
“The thing is, I didn’t really expect that in our camp,” she said. “I didn’t think there would be snakes or rats where we were sleeping and living.
“We had a couple of days of torrential rain and we had some rats.”
But, camaraderie made the experience worthwhile for Diane, who earlier became the first contestant on the show not to win a single meal for the camp during her Bushtucker Trial.
She told Ant and Dec: “I felt comfortable with everybody. I was able to relax with everybody. I didn’t get on better with any one individual. It’s a really cool bunch of people.”
The winner of this year’s reality contest will be revealed on Monday.
Former BBC royal correspondent Jennie Bond was odds-on to be voted off tonight at 1-2, followed by Alex Best and Neil Ruddock both at 5-1, according to bookmaker William Hill.
Lydon remained favourite to win at 13-8, followed by 10-3 second favourite Jordan.
The other contestants are Kerry McFadden, 23, Peter Andre, 30, and Lord Brocket, 52.