Rock legends The Who were today added to the headliners for the Isle Of Wight Festival – 34 years after they last played the event.
The band – famed for tracks such as My Generation and Substitute – will play the outdoor festival on June 12 next year.
The last time The Who played the event in 1970 they were banned after playing a mammoth show and smashing their equipment onstage.
They played continuously for three hours, churning out classic hits as well as 13 songs from their rock opera Tommy.
The Who’s inclusion on the bill was announced by Virgin Radio today which will be broadcasting the three-day festival on June 11, 12 and 13.
Virgin presenter Pete Mitchell said: “The Who are one of the greatest live bands ever and this gig will be a return to the halcyon days of the great bands at great festivals.
“Age doesn’t seem to count with The Who – they are still as refreshing and dynamic live as they were 30 years ago and the Isle of Wight is the perfect setting to witness their performance.”
The band’s bass player John Entwistle died last year, leaving just Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend from the original line-up. Drummer Keith Moon died in 1978.
Guitarist and songwriter Townshend has had a troubled year after being cautioned by police for accessing child pornography on the internet.
He was placed on the sex offenders’ register after accepting a police caution. He said he had paid to view images as research.
Other big names playing at the 2004 Isle Of Wight event include David Bowie and Stereophonics.
The festival was held from 1968 to 1970 featuring acts such as Bob Dylan, Free, The Doors, Joni Mitchell and Jefferson Airplane. It was revived in 2002.