Unless you’ve been holidaying in warmer climes, there hasn’t been nearly enough sun to actually catch a tan this year, but that doesn’t mean you have to resort to full-body fake-tanning.
Bronzing make-up has come a long way from the one-shade-fits-all powders of the past, and there’s now a glow-inducing solution for everyone, even if you’re naturally porcelain pale.
Here’s the make-up artists’ advice on the best new bronzers and how to apply them like a pro...
MEET YOUR MATTE
“Powder bronzers generally give more of a matte finish, which is great for oilier complexions,” says Sascha Jackson, UK head make-up artist for Stila. She recommends that bronzing beginners choose “a shade lighter than you think you need”.
“You can always build the colour intensity as you go. It’s easier to apply more, than it is to tone down.”
And it’s not a case of grabbing a big brush and daubing liberally: “When applying bronzer, it’s always best to apply it where the sun would naturally catch the skin,” Jackson says. “Think around your hairline, down the nose, cheeks and chin. This way you get the most natural, sun-kissed effect.”
- Urban Decay Beached Bronzer in Bronzed, €29 (www.debenhams.ie)
- Bourjois Mat Illusion Bronzing Powder, €10.99 (www.boots.ie)
- Real Techniques Retractable Bronzer Brush, €15.99 (www.boots.ie)
HOW GLOW CAN YOU GO?
“Bronzer should enhance a tan, or warm the skin for a healthy glow,” says make-up artist Lisa Prostamo, who advises that those with warmer or darker skin tones should try a shimmering bronzer, while “fair, untanned skins should avoid shimmer finishes”.
“If the powder has a light shimmer finish, apply to the cheeks to create a pretty glow, and don’t forget the neck and decolletage — bronzer should be applied to this area to balance the face, for a natural, authentic finish.”
- MAC Studio Sculpt Defining Bronzing Powder in Golden Rinse, €34 (www.brownthomas.com)
- Rosie for Autograph Insta Glow Matte Bronzer in Summer Solstice, €27 (www.marksandspencer.ie)
- Bagsy Ray of Sunshine Perfect Glow Bronzing Powder in Light Medium, €26 (www.debenhams.ie)
- EcoTools Blending and Bronzing Brush, currently reduced to €12.95 (www.superdrug.com)
CREAM OF THE CROP
If you prefer a dewy foundation look rather than matte, try a cream bronzer.
“Cream bronzers offer more coverage, and can be applied sparingly over the face and neck to enliven a tan, or under cheekbones to contour the cheeks,” advises Prostamo.
Use your index finger to dot the bronzer in the desired area, then your middle finger to blend out.
- SEVENTEEN Instant Glow tan Cream Bronzer, €8.49 (www.boots.ie)
- Illamasqua Gleam in Supernatural, €25 (www.debenhams.ie)
“Liquid bronzers tend to be more sheer and can be applied before foundation,” explains Jackson. “I love applying liquid bronzers with a damp Beautyblender, as you can achieve a gorgeous, gentle sun-kissed glow by stippling a small amount onto the skin.”
“Apply sparingly on areas of the face where the sun naturally hits,” Prostamo advises. “Apply a little at a time and build up to the intensity desired.”
- Stila Aqua Glow Perfecting Bronzer, €29.04 (www.feelunique.com)
- Benefit ‘Dew the Hoola’ liquid bronzer, €31 (www.debenhams.ie)
- Beautyblender Classic Sponge, €22 (www.boots.ie)
CUSTOMISE YOUR LOOK
Liquid bronzers don’t have to go straight onto your face — there’s a new generation of highly pigmented formulas intended for mixing with other products.
Use the back of your hand as a palette and mix a drop at a time into your usual moisturiser or foundation, to create a custom blend perfect for your complexion.
- Cover FX Custom Enhancer Drops in Sunkissed, €52 (www.spacenk.com)
- Clinique Sun-kissed Face Gelee Complexion Multitasker, €32 (www.debenhams.ie)
Save your skin
Two weeks in the sun can work wonders for your complexion — as long as you use adequate SPF — but long-haul travel can also take a toll.
Two weeks of nightly Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Intensive Recovery Ampoules, €115 for 60, however, promises to counteract the complexion jet lag.
These small but mighty capsules contain actives that reduce redness, while increasing suppleness and the skin’s ability to defend against stressors like tiredness (available July, www.brownthomas.com).
LASHES OF POSITIVITY
How make-up makes us feel is hard to quantify, but No7 has carried out a survey on its ever-popular Lash Impact Mascara and discovered that 81% of women reported an increase in positive mood when they put it on, while 73% said they felt more relaxed, and 72% felt more adventurous.
To celebrate these mood-boosting findings, the mascara’s had a bit of a makeover — look out for the limited-edition gold sparkly packaging in Boots stores and online now, €18.50 (www.boots.ie).
STEAL OF THE WEEK
Packed with all your holiday essentials — the majority in ideal 100ml or less minis — the Sanctuary Ultimate Summer Escape Keep Cool This Summer Bag, is worth €65 but is available now for just €30 while stocks last. (www.boots.ie).