North Korea 'preparing nuclear test'
There is an indication that North Korea is preparing for a fourth nuclear test, South Korea has said.
Unification Minister Ryoo Kihl-jae told a parliamentary committee today that “there is such an indication” of nuclear test preparations at Pyongyang’s site in the country’s north-east.
Either a nuclear test or a missile test would escalate tensions that have been rising for weeks on the Korean Peninsula, and could invite a new round of UN Security Council sanctions over North Korea’s nuclear and rocket activity.
The US and South Korea have been raising their defence posture, and foreign diplomats were considering a warning from Pyongyang that their safety in North Korea could not be guaranteed beginning on Wednesday.
North Korea has unleashed a flurry of war threats and provocations over the UN sanctions and ongoing US-South Korean military drills, which the allies say are routine but Pyongyang says is a preparation for a northward invasion.
Mr Ryoo made his comment in answering a politician’s question about increased personnel and vehicle activities at the North’s nuclear test site.
Ministry officials cite him as saying he would not provide further details because they involve confidential intelligence affairs.
South Korean defence officials previously said the North completed preparations for a nuclear test at two underground tunnels.
The North used one tunnel for its February 12 nuclear test. The second remains unused.





