Three British tourists killed by bug in Spain

A third British pensioner has died from Legionnaires’ disease while on holiday in Spain, officials say.

A third British pensioner has died from Legionnaires’ disease while on holiday in Spain, officials say.

A further 10 Britons and four Spaniards were being treated for the disease.

The three, aged 73 to 78, had contracted the disease at a hotel in the eastern town of Calpe, the Valencia regional government said.

The UK-based Saga Holidays reported the first two deaths, saying the Britons had stayed at the Diamante Beach Hotel in Calpe.

The names of the three victims were not released.

The Valencia government said authorities have taken measures to control the outbreak, including closing the hotel.

Saga said it learned on January 14 that one of its customers was being treated for pneumonia caused by the Legionnaires’ bacteria and it then began moving customers to other hotels.

Paul Green, head of communications, said customers who had stayed at the hotel previously were contacted, and five people who recently stayed there were treated in British hospitals with all but one later discharged.

Legionnaires’ disease is named after an outbreak at an American Legion convention in 1976 where 34 people died. It is caused by a bacterium most often found in sources of standing water and can be contracted by breathing contaminated air.

The elderly and people with weak immune systems or lung problems are most susceptible.

More in this section

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox