Kenyans have been gathering at the site of the 1998 US embassy bombing in central Nairobi to remember those killed in the al-Qaida attack.
Following the death of Osama bin Laden, survivors of the terror attack in Kenya called today a day to remember those who had suffered.
Douglas Sidialo, who lost his eyesight in the blast, called it a day of great honour to survivors and victims of terrorism.
Al-Qaida was blamed for the simultaneous 1998 bombings of US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania, attacks that together killed 225 people.
Members of Somalia’s militant group al-Shabab have threatened revenge attacks for bin Laden’s death.
Mohamed Osman Arus said: "The Americans have previously killed other Islamist leaders. Their students will continue the jihad and we shall retaliate against the Americans, Israel, Europe and Christians in Somalia with destructive explosions.''
The US embassy in Nairobi said today it was “important to remember” that hundreds of Kenyans and Americans were killed during the August 7 1998 embassy attack.
“Many innocent people of many nationalities and faiths have been killed by al Qaida under the direction of Osama bin Laden,” it said.
Kenyan president Mwai Kibaki commended all those involved in tracking down and killing bin Laden.
“His killing is an act of justice to those Kenyans who lost their lives and the many more who suffered injuries,” Mr Kibaki said.
Major TV stations in Kenya broadcast live coverage from CNN and BBC. The news surprised some who felt the US would never get bin Laden.
Beatrice Wairimu, a beautician in Nairobi, said: “It is good news for all Kenyans and for me in particular. One of my cousins was injured in al Qaida’s 1998 attack.
“I never expected that he will be killed. They have been searching for him for 10 years.”
Charles Muriuki, who lost his mother in the Nairobi blast, visited the memorial wall today.
“When I heard the news, I felt very excited and justice has been served,” he said. “It’s been 12 years but finally justice has been served.”