An al-Qaida affiliated group has claimed responsibility for the suicide bombing that targeted the British ambassador in Yemen, a US-based terrorist tracking organisation said today.
The SITE Intelligence Group said Al Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula had claimed responsibility for the April 26 attack in a communique released on jihadist forums yesterday.
British ambassador Tim Torlot was unhurt in the attack, in which a Yemeni man detonated his explosives belt near the diplomat’s armoured car in a poor neighbourhood of the capital San’a.
AQAP identified the bomber as Uthman Noman al-Salwi and provided his picture. The communique identifies him as a member of the “Brigade of Sheikh Abu Omar al-Baghdadi”.
It attacks Britain for allegedly plotting against the Arabian Peninsula and for its role in the establishment of Israel.
Al-Salwi, 22, had previously been jailed for two years for suspected ties to al Qaida. His father said in an interview after the bombing that authorities had agreed to release his son into parental custody as long as he checked in with police daily and attended school.
Instead, he said his son disappeared without notifying his family of his whereabouts.
The suicide bombing was the first of its kind in the capital in a year and cast doubt on the effectiveness of the Yemeni government’s US-backed campaign against al-Qaida militants, who have found a haven in parts of the rugged, mountainous nation where the central government’s control is weak.