Mumbai terror attack police 'out of practice'

Armed police attending the Mumbai terror attacks were out of practice, a committee investigating the shootings said today.

Armed police attending the Mumbai terror attacks were out of practice, a committee investigating the shootings said today.

The state Rapid Action Force (RAF) had not practised using firearms since 2007, the independent Ram Pradhan Committee found.

The committee added that the force have been unable to train due to a lack of arms and ammunition although they are required to do so at least once every four days.

The Mumbai director general of police did not approve the practice policy as a result of administrative glitches and a communication gap, the committee said.

A report by the team said the city’s police commissioner Hasan Gafoor acted irresponsibly during the attacks. It said that he failed to take charge of the situation.

The committee also noted the effect of the lack of unified command on the working of the anti-terrorist squad. It added that the luxury Taj and Trident hotels affected by the attacks had ignored security warnings, the Times of India reported.

The attacks, on November 26 last year, killed nearly 200 people and injured many more.

More in this section

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited