Death toll from North Ossetia blast hits 12

The death toll from yesterday's bus stop bomb blast in the troubled North Caucasus has reached 12, with President Dmitry Medvedev saying today the attack showed that terrorism remained a threat for Russia.

The death toll from yesterday's bus stop bomb blast in the troubled North Caucasus has reached 12, with President Dmitry Medvedev saying today the attack showed that terrorism remained a threat for Russia.

Among those killed were a woman authorities believe set off the explosion on Thursday in North Ossetian regional capital, Vladikavkaz, the regional Interior Ministry said.

Investigators had said on Thursday that 11 people were killed, and Russian media reported that a woman wounded in the blast died overnight. Dozens were injured.

Mr Medvedev said the attack underscored the persistent threat of terrorism in Russia, which was plagued by bombings and other attacks in the late 1990s and earlier this decade – many claimed by or blamed on Chechen militants.

“This event has shown that a terrorist threat remains in our country,” he said in televised remarks. “We must not let our guard down.”

The explosion was the deadliest in years in North Ossetia, which was the site of the 2004 Beslan school seizure and other terrorist attacks.

The region borders war-scarred Chechnya as well as Georgia’s breakaway South Ossetia region, where Russia and Georgia battled during their August war.

More in this section

IE_logo_newsletters

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox