Police question two in relation to California wildfire

Authorities investigating the California arson attack that killed four firefighters have questioned and released two “persons of interest”, police said today.

Authorities investigating the California arson attack that killed four firefighters have questioned and released two “persons of interest”, police said today.

Meanwhile firefighters contained the remainder of the blaze that had destroyed 34 homes during its fierce run in southern California.

Authorities said the fire was started deliberately at the base of a slope in Cabazon, west of Palm Springs. Cabazon residents said they saw two young men leaving the area where the fire began.

It was fully contained at 40,200 acres or about 63 square miles, said Becky Luther, a California Department of Forestry spokeswoman.

The two people were brought in for questioning and released, but authorities said no arrests had been made.

“It was a couple of people getting interviewed. We’re trying to work through the leads that we have, and going through the process,” said Riverside County Sheriff Bob Doyle.

Cabazon residents have said they saw two young men leaving the area where the fire began.

Investigators would be interviewing a number of people in the case, said James Crowell, assistant special agent in charge with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

The fire erupted shortly after 1am on Thursday as fierce Santa Ana winds blew through the region. Fourteen firefighters suffered minor injuries.

Last week, a shift in the winds turned deadly when a gust pushed a wall of flames around five firefighters trying to protect a house. Four of the firefighters died, while another was taken to hospital with serious burns.

More in this section

IE_logo_newsletters

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox