Police launch search for missing boy in Belgium

Belgian police said they mobilised a mass search for a missing nine-year-old boy today near a city where two young girls were abducted and killed last month.

Belgian police said they mobilised a mass search for a missing nine-year-old boy today near a city where two young girls were abducted and killed last month.

The boy went out to play with a friend on Friday near his mother’s house in Verviers, a town just east of Liege and about 80 miles east of Brussels. His parents reported him missing after he didn’t return home, authorities said.

Police said 50 officers and search dogs were being used and posters were being put up.

Officials have called the disappearance concerning, raising fears the boy could have been abducted, notably after last month’s kidnapping and killing of two stepsisters in the city of Liege.

Police have charged convicted child rapist Abdallah Aid Oud with the girls’ abduction. Oud has been held by police since June 13, but denies any involvement.

He has not been charged with murder, leading some to speculate that the police do not have evidence linking him to the girls’ deaths and that the real killer is still at large.

More in this section

IE_logo_newsletters

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox