A Briton who has been missing since the deadly Metro blast has been confirmed dead. The family of David Dixon, 53, who is originally from Hartlepool but was living in the Belgian capital, said they had received “the most terrible and devastating news”.
At least 32 people were killed and 270 injured when suicide bombs ripped through the airport and a Metro station on Tuesday morning.
A statement issued on behalf of Mr Dixon’s family said: “This morning we received the most terrible and devastating news about our beloved David. At this most painful time our family would gratefully appreciate it if we could be left alone to grieve in private. Please respect our wishes.”
The British Foreign Office said: “We can confirm David Dixon lost his life in the attacks which took place in Brussels on Tuesday 22 March 2016. Our thoughts are with his family at this difficult time and our Embassy staff are continuing to support them.”
British Prime Minister David Cameron tweeted: “I am deeply saddened to hear David Dixon was killed in the Brussels attacks. My thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family.”
The Netherlands’ foreign minister said three Dutch citizens were killed in the bombing at Brussels airport.
Bert Koenders said the victims were a woman from the eastern city of Deventer and a brother and sister from the southern Limburg province who live in the US.
A Chinese citizen was also confirmed among the dead.
Meanwhile, a US official said at least two American citizens were killed.
The news came as US secretary of state John Kerry was visiting Brussels to express his condolences to the Belgian people.
Mr Kerry said the “United States is praying and grieving with you for the loved ones of those cruelly taken from us, including Americans, and for the many who were injured in these despicable attacks”.
He did not give a specific number but a senior official said the families of two Americans had been informed of their deaths.