Chuck Blazer co-operated with Fifa probe since 2011

Former Fifa executive committee member Chuck Blazer agreed to act undercover for US prosecutors and has been co-operating since at least 2011 in the government’s investigation of football corruption.

Chuck Blazer co-operated with Fifa probe since 2011

Blazer’s 19-page co-operation agreement from November 25, 2013, was unsealed after a federal judge agreed to a request by five media organisations and rejected an objection by federal prosecutors.

Blazer agreed “to participate in undercover activities pursuant to the specific instructions of law enforcement agents or this office” and “not to reveal his co-operation or any information derived therefrom to any third party without prior consent,” according to the agreement between Blazer and the US Attorney’s Office in Brooklyn, New York. He also agreed not to contest any ban imposed on him.

Blazer agreed he had unreported income over $11m for 2005-10 and said he would sign over title of his Fifa pension if needed to satisfy payments owed the US government. He already has agreed to penalties and a fine totalling nearly $2.5m and to pay more in the future.

In exchange for Blazer’s co-operation and guilty pleas to 10 counts, the government said it will not recommend a specific sentence for his crimes and also accepted that a reduction of up to three levels would be warranted under sentencing guidelines if he “clearly demonstrates acceptance of responsibility”.

An American who was football’s former No 2 official in North and Central America and the Caribbean, Blazer pleaded guilty in November 2013 to one count each of racketeering conspiracy, wire fraud conspiracy, money laundering conspiracy and willful failure to file a Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts, and to six counts of tax evasion.

Charges involved facilitation of bribes in connection with the selection of the 1998 and 2010 World Cup hosts, and bribes and kickbacks in conjunction with the sale of broadcast and other rights to the CONCACAF Gold Cup from 1996-2003.

His co-operation was first reported by the New York Daily News last November.

His pleas remained secret until they were unsealed last month on the same day 14 football officials and marketing executives were indicted on corruption charges, including seven men arrested in Zurich ahead of the Fifa Congress, pending extradition to the US.

More in this section

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox