Manhunt after Canada shooting

Two Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers were seriously injured when they were shot at a casino yesterday.

Manhunt after Canada shooting

Police are searching for an armed suspect after the attack in the city of St Albert in central Alberta.

St Albert RCMP said the officers were investigating a stolen vehicle complaint which led to an interaction with a civilian when they were shot.

RCMP Criminal Operations Officer Marlin Degrand said the officers did not have a chance to fire back at the suspect, who fled the scene.

Mr Degrand said one officer is in a very grave condition and the other is in a stable but serious condition at a local hospital. Officials have not yet released their names as the RCMP is still in the process of contacting their family members.

“Any time our members have been shot and are in hospital we consider it serious,” said Inspector Gibson Glavin.

He said police were searching for the suspect near the Sturgeon Valley Golf Club in St Albert, which is north-west of Edmonton.

Mr Glavin described the suspect as a white male, aged 25 to 35, and warned he should be considered armed and dangerous.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper released a statement on Twitter expressing his concern over the shooting.

“Canada’s thoughts & prayers are with RCMP Alberta officers today as they deal with an ongoing shooting investigation in the St Albert area,” his tweet read.

RCMP said they cannot release information on the number of witnesses at the scene or the number of shots fired as it is an active investigation.

Meanwhile, two people were killed and another injured in a shooting at a Florida shopping centre, police said.

After responding to reports at around 9.30am local time of multiple shots fired inside the Melbourne Square Mall, police tweeted that the “shooter is contained” and that officers were clearing the mall store by store.

It was not immediately clear whether the suspect was dead or injured, Commander Vince Pryce said.

Police said the injured victim was in a stable condition in hospital with a gunshot wound and co-operating with investigators.

Authorities have not released the names of the suspect or the victims.

Melbourne Mayor Kathy Meehan told Florida Today that police officials told her the shooting followed a domestic dispute between a woman who worked at the mall’s food court and her husband.

The shopping centre was evacuated, and officials said it would remain closed while police continue to investigate. Local television broadcasts showed yellow police tape stretched across a mall entrance and the car park.

More in this section


Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox